White making big impact on offensive line

Paul Kix

Lorenzo White’s journey to Iowa State started at Blinn Junior College in Richmond, Texas. A man of his generous proportions (6-5, 355) might be seen as the big fish in a small pond. But White insists that on his junior college team, this was not the case. “I was the second [largest] fish,” says White. White is big, and he has big dreams. He may have been the second largest fish at Blinn, but he works toward being a star here at Iowa State. “It would be nice if I could finish the season as an All-Big 12,” White said. And as a smile slowly makes its climb across his face, he utters, “or maybe an All-American.” While at Blinn he earned second-team all-conference honors. Lorenzo White grew up in the football-crazed land of Texas. Along with his friends, he began playing in second grade. “Football was always what I played. I threw shot put in high school, but I always played football.” White said his size lead him to play on the offensive line while in high school. “I’ve always been tall,” he said. And more specifically, at right guard. “I’ve always played on the right side,” White remarked. White was first-team all-district as a sophomore, junior and senior of his high school career He added weight during adolescence, and although he likes to eat, he says he wouldn’t be able to put down many ribs. Hickory Park is his favorite place to dine. White will lumber into the right guard position for the first time against Iowa on Saturday. But does he know about how intense the rivalry is here in Iowa? “The coaches have been telling me,” he said. White is not worried. He believes he played in a rivalry that matched this one’s intensity while in Texas. “Trinity Valley,” he said, was the place where he was first exposed to livid fans, jumpy coaches and unruly press. White is a member of a unit that is notoriously known for getting snubbed when attention and glory come around. “The offensive line did a great job,” said Sage Rosenfels after Iowa State’s victory over Ohio. The 400 total yard offensive out pour could be credited in large part to the offensive line. The last two games have rendered nearly equal offensive distribution. Rosenfels has had ample time – or the most part – to deliver the ball to his receivers. Ennis Haywood and Michael Wagner have found the end zone, due in part to “The Big Uglies” as ABC anchor Keith Jackson would put it. Although UNLV and Ohio have meant big offensive days for the Cyclone offense, White is well aware that there are still areas to work on. “There is always room for improvement,” White said. One area that White would personally like to improve on is his belly. “I would like to get down to 335,” he said. (White is listed at 340, but confirms with ease that 355 is a much closer number). Whatever his weight, White wants to make an impact. “I just want to play well,” he said.