Today’s Briefs

Various

GSB to hold bake sale for tuition today The Government of the Student Body will continue its campaign of increasing students’ awareness of the upcoming tuition hikes with the first GSB Bake Sale. The sale will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today on central campus. “The purpose of this is to educate students about the increase,” said Andy Tofilon, GSB co-director of Intergovernmental Affairs. GSB President Ben Golding said the bake sale is also designed to motivate students to support GSB’s proposal to the Board of Regents and communicate with their GSB leaders on a casual level. All bake sale proceeds will go toward student financial aid. – Doug Stevens Christie Vilsack to speak at MU today Iowa’s first lady Christie Vilsack, an advocate of education, literacy and libraries, will share her vision of education in Iowa in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union today at 4 p.m. The Secondary Education Club and the English Club will host Vilsack’s visit, that will consist of a brief speech, a question-and-answer session and a reception at which refreshments will be provided. Vilsack taught eighth-grade language arts for 18 years before she went to Iowa Wesleyan College, where she taught English and journalism for six years. – Wendy Weiskircher Forum today to hear student opinions ISU students will have an opportunity to voice their opinions about this year’s potential tuition increase today in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. The forum will begin at 2 p.m. and is being presented by the Government of the Student Body Executive Council. The forum is being sponsored by the Student Union Board, and all students are encouraged to attend the open discussion. – Andrea Hauser