USIG back-stabbing traitors

On Monday night, the University of Iowa Student Government passed a resolution to betray all Iowa college students by supporting a 9.9 percent tuition increase at the UI, reversing their previous stance. The ISU Government of the Student Body learned about this cowardly reversal Tuesday night before the Board of Regents meeting. That left only 18 hours for the student governments at Iowa State and UNI to replan five and a half months of strategy. The student governments at the regent universities had been planning since April to present a unified front at the Board of Regents meeting yesterday to combat rising tuition and take a stand on behalf of Iowa students. The UISG shattered that unity with one vote. Without the backing of all three student governments, Iowa State and UNI student leaders will have to stand alone to persuade regents to lower the tuition increase. The 9.9 percent proposal the UISG supports is higher than the 9.3 percent increase proposed by the regents. This is not what UI students want. How will UISG answer to their own students? How will they answer to us all? UISG President Andy Stoll said he still hopes the student leaders can make a joint presentation. This is unlikely since a brave man dies but once while a coward dies a thousand times. Sorry, Andy, but those of us with backbone have plans of our own. Withdrawing your support has weakened our stand. Our governing bodies are actually looking out for our interests. You see, UISG, student government should protect students, not stab them in the back at zero-hour. How do you justify approving a higher tuition rate than the regents? How do you sleep at night? This mystifying move smacks of backroom politicking, while backing out at last minute is merely shady, callow and without class. Editorial Board: Carrie Tett, Greg Jerrett, Katie Goldsmith, Amie Van Overmeer and Andrea Hauser