Moses does it all ‘all for God’

Jeremy Gustafson

J.J. Moses. Perhaps you’ve heard of him, or maybe seen him somewhere. He’s the one who sprung the 58-yard touchdown on Iowa State’s first offensive play from scrimmage. He’s the one who scored on a 78-yard screen pass from quarterback Sage Rosenfels just when things started to get close against UNLV. He’s the “little guy.” All of 5’6″ and 170 pounds, Moses combines quickness and muscle in an elegant fashion; the speed of a Harley with the style of a Lexus. And he does it all for one reason. God. “God has blessed me with the ability to go out there and play football and I’m thankful that he has given me this opportunity,” Moses said. “I just wanna try to be the best person I can be as a Christian and a person to go out and spread the gospel and try my best as a person to be a positive influence on the people around me.” Moses has been a positive influence. Fellow wide receiver Chris Anthony describes Moses as “faithful.” “He’s one of my good friends, you know. I trust him with anything. He’s always been faithful to me as a friend and with his religion and walk with God, too,” Anthony said. But for now, Moses and his teammates are focused on what lies ahead: this Saturday’s game against the Baylor Bears. “We take one game at a time. We’re not gonna go down there and flop around. We need to go down there and execute – you know, play offense and defense,” Moses explained. Moses said that having an off- week before starting Big 12 play will play an important role in how the Cyclones play in Waco. “Having a bye-week was the best thing for us,” Moses said. “It helped us re-focus after the win against Iowa. Everyone is still talking about it. Now since we had that bye-week we get to re-focus and heal ourselves because Iowa took a lot out of us, emotionally, mentally, physically.” Still, it is easy to overlook Baylor, a team that was 1-10 last season, when national powerhouse Nebraska looms in the horizon. And after what the Iowa Hawkeye passing attack did to the Cornhuskers, Moses may be a little itchy to show what the ISU offense can do against the top-ranked team in the nation. “It’s so easy to forget about ol’ poor Baylor because Nebraska is No.1 in the nation. As a person and as a team we all need to focus so much on Baylor because there have been many times when a team has overlooked an unranked team, and went down there and got beat,” Moses said. The Baylor defense will have a tough test dealing with the record-setting Cyclone offense. Iowa State has gone over 400 total offensive yards in the first three games, a feat never done before by the ‘Clones. Moses knows that his quarterback may hold the key to the teams success this year. “Sage is the key player for our offense and we feel that Sage is a leader on offense and he makes big plays for us and he knows the offense. He’s a team leader, he’s an off the field leader and without Sage who knows where we’d be right now,” Moses explained. Rosenfels has the same respect for Moses. “I’ve got great confidence because even though he [Moses] is short, he’s got really good hands and he plays much taller than he is,” Rosenfels said. Rosenfels added that Moses brings “energy” to the team. “[Moses] brings a lot of energy to our team in practice and in games. On the field you can tell he has a lot of energy, he’s always movin’ and he’s always goin’,” Rosenfels said. Moses said that when on the field, he is fueled by the Lord and his strong emotion for the game. “You got to control it sometimes, but there is a lot of emotions out there and that’s what I feed off of,” he said. And when Moses does score, he doesn’t forget his teammates and the real reason he is where he is. “I’m thankin’ God because I know he helped me make that touchdown. I feel that whatever happens, God is there with me,” Moses said. Moses followed in his dad’s footsteps coming to Iowa State. Jerry Sr. lettered at Iowa State from 1972-73, and Jerry Jr. may not be the last from his family either. His 15-year old brother, Milan, is also making quite a name for himself at Waterloo East High School. “He’s a great athlete. He’s not only a good athlete, but he’s a good student as well, and that is the most important thing. He’s on the honor roll,” said Moses. “I’m thankful to have a younger brother.” “I’d love to see him at a big college like Iowa State,” Moses said. J.J. said he would like to leave a legacy after he graduates. “I want to be known as `a guy that I can go talk to any time, he was a guy who always kept a smile on his face, always helped others out,'” Moses explained. “And `J.J. was one of the players who helped to turn a program around.'” Iowa State will take a step towards turning the program around against Baylor as they attempt to go 4-0 for the first time since 1980. Moses said the win at Iowa was a “critical” victory for the team and that it gave them confidence. “Going into the Big 12 Conference, you need confidence, because every team is good,” Moses said. But when it is all over with after this senior season, Moses will look to God to show him what his calling is. It may involve three letters. “God’s blessed me with my size,” Moses said. “People would say `J.J., you’re too short to play high school football.’ I played high school football. People say, `J.J., well, you’re way too short to go to Division I, you won’t make it.’ I went Division I.” Now ask J.J. if he is too short to play in the NFL and Moses will reply “we’ll have to see.”