Student arrested for thefts

Justin Kendall

An ISU student was arrested Wednesday and charged with making 18 illegal fund transfers, totaling in excess of $400.

Brent James Goers, 22, 258 Campus Ave., was arrested on a warrant and charged with theft in the fourth degree, a serious misdemeanor, said Associate Director of Public Safety Jerry Stewart.

Goers turned himself into DPS and was transported to Story County Jail where he is being held on $2,000 bond, Stewart said.

“DPS was notified early last semester of funds being fraudulently transferred to debit cards,” Stewart said.

“It was believed that this was occurring at the ISU Card Office and that an employee may have been involved.”

Stewart said DPS found in its investigation that Goers had made 18 illegal fund transfers or transactions between Feb. 29 and June 12.

“Over that five-month period, Goers is alleged to have … used two cash cards and his ISU ID card and put money on those cards periodically, and then used the cards to purchase items, primarily food,” he said.

Stewart said Goers, senior in liberal studies, was interviewed and admitted to the actions.

“Detailed business records and surveillance videotape corroborate Goers’ admissions,” he said.

“It was confirmed that he was a student employee of that office.”

An ISU Card Office official said ISU ID cards and debit cards allow students to put a dollar amount on the card for use at several on campus locations such as the University Book Store or the food court of the Memorial Union.