Being the best means more than making money

Kate Kompas

As journalists, we often bemoan a lack of summer news. This is Ames, after all. However, this season is shaping up quite differently.

I could write about how some members of the Ames City Council are looking into a smoking ban in large restaurants, a decision that would no doubt anger patrons and restaurants from Duff Avenue to Campustown. There are other ways to discourage teen smoking than restricting the use of legal products for adults.

I could talk about how the Legislature passed the ridiculous parental notification bill, every college student’s worst nightmare: Big Brother is alive and well, and he has a direct line to your parents.

On the national front, I could address the presidential race, which is really heating up (yeah, right) or the music industry’s ongoing battle with Napster.

For an unselfish act in the political realm, there’s always the decision of New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani to disband his expected Senate run due to ailing health, a very courageous and human act from a person who’s never really seemed human.

But, as many ISU students, faculty, staff and Iowa residents know, there’s bigger news on the horizon.

Today at 11 a.m., Purdue University is holding a press conference to announce its new president, the successor to Steven C. Beering. As reported by area newspapers, ISU President Martin C. Jischke, feared and loathed by some faculty members and students while loved by the regents and ISU Foundation, met with Purdue officials about the job.

Although the ISU administration has been mum on the subject, the Boilerstation, an online product of Purdue’s student paper, reported Sunday that Jischke will likely be named its new president. By the time some of you read this, Jischke will probably have announced that his 10-year reign at Iowa State is over.

We have good indications that Jischke will be leaving Iowa State. We at the Daily have heard rumors for some time that the 58-year-old Jischke wanted to move to another land-grant university, which Purdue is. Its enrollment is higher, and it’s arguably a more high-profile university. For Jischke’s career, the move would make perfect sense.

For the ISU community, the case is a little different. Looking over the reports about Jischke and Purdue, the points brought up time and again refer to Jischke’s record-breaking fund-raising and his excellent reputation.

These remarks are the perfect illustrator of the two public faces of Jischke. There’s no denying that he has his fan club, of which former Gov. Terry Brandstad and the regents are card-carrying members. Nobody ever calls him inept or rejects the notion that the man can bring in millions and millions for Iowa State. Jischke’s an efficient businessman.

But I don’t think you’ll be seeing too many faculty members and students throwing good-bye parties for Jischke. Although this past year showcased some very lucrative accomplishments for Iowa State, including the largest donation ever to a public university, Jischke didn’t have that great of a personal year.

The grumbling about Jischke, which had been muted for some time, reached a fever pitch. A petition was circulated among faculty members and students claiming that Iowa State’s administration was responsible for creating “a climate of fear and repression.” The petition, which was authored by seven ISU faculty members and one alumnus, garnered about 150 signatures.

Jischke’s public relations troubles weren’t over. Shortly before Veishea, two ISU students posted a Web site titled call.to/jischke detailing their outrage over Jischke’s membership on the Board of Directors of Banker’s Trust, the bank that holds Iowa State’s accounts.

For me, it’s laughable to read about what a fine president Dr. Jischke has been for Iowa State. I can’t join in the tears and wish him good luck on his way. Instead, I’d like to wish Purdue University good luck.

Many students and faculty members know what the regents are ignoring: That while Iowa State has had outstanding fund-raising, it’s now being run like a business instead of a place of learning.

For all the current ISU administration’s talk about becoming the best, being the best, being the best of the best, whatever, students and faculty members know the difference.

I don’t care about record-breaking fund-raisers. I don’t care about Iowa State’s enrollment. I don’t care that statistically our university looks outstanding while its spirit is dying.

Attending the Veishea parade and some ISU basketball games didn’t make up for Jischke’s lack of involvement with students, or his administration’s ignoring the discontent among them and faculty members — people whose opinion matter much more than a regent’s evaluation.

Here’s hoping our next president has other concerns than the bottom line.

Kate Kompas is a junior in journalism and mass communication. She is editor in chief of the Daily.