Fashion takes off in ‘Techno 2000’

Jenny Joanning

Techno music and models filled Fisher Theater this weekend at ISU’s Department of Textiles and Clothing’s 18th annual, student-run “Techno 2000” fashion show.

Models danced down the runway to music such as the Lo Fidelity Allstars’ “Battle Flag,” and Crystal Method’s “Busy Child” as they modeled clothes designed by ISU textiles and clothing students.

This year’s show was the first to be held at Fisher Theater rather than MacKay Hall. Kristi Reicks and Kristin Dunmead, co-producers of the show, said having the show in Fisher was a welcome change.

“It was wonderful,” said Dunmead, a senior in apparel merchandising, design and production. “There were a lot more options with lighting and sound. It was like a whole new show.”

Reicks, also a senior in apparel merchandising, design and production agreed using Fisher Theater made a big difference.

“I’d say it went pretty awesome. Everyone did a great job,” she said. “It was 100 percent better. It made all the difference.”

The show had a lot of help with 16 directors for areas such as model/presentation, marketing and design. Each director had a committee of up to nine members.

“It was endless effort. The time, effort and dedication was tremendous,” Reicks said.

Two alumnae guests of honor spoke at the show and talked about how they started and got where they are today.

Michelle Hornback, a ’95 graduate who works for Johnson Controls in Kentucky, said being at Iowa State gave her the tools, such as communication skills and people skills, necessary to get ahead in the business.

“While I was here at Iowa State, I was one of the co-producers of the fashion show, and through that experience, I developed leadership skills,” she said.

The other guest alumna was Angie O’Riley, an ’88 graduate. O’Riley is now a fashion consultant for talk-show host Rosie O’Donnell’s as well as a Ford model and technology specialist.

Dunmead also said students in one of the textiles and clothing classes helped out by being on the committees, selling T-shirts and handing out programs at the show.

The show was separated into seven categories for both the runway and mounted exhibits. Awards were presented to the first-, second- and third-place designer in each category.

Categories included evening wear, casual wear, accessories, collections, experimental/novelty, children’s wear and portfolio.

Winners of the first place award in each category are listed as follows. Unless noted, all are apparel merchandising, design and production majors.

* Junior Kara Spencer in Best of Show for her Seed Sack Dress and in the experimental/novelty category.

* Sophomore Angela Sampson in evening wear.

* Graduate student Susan Offerdahl in casual wear.

* Amy Lee, graduate student in human development and family studies, in accessories.

* Junior Marlene Hufferd in collections.

* Senior Marcy Wempen in children’s wear.

* Senior Amanda Thompson in portfolio.