Old and new merge at GSB inauguration

Wendy Weiskircher

In an atmosphere thick with relief, nostalgia and a tremor of trepidation, the Government of the Student Body bid farewell to the 1999-2000 senate and executive branch and welcomed their successors.

Senators, executive members, administration members and proud families gathered at the Schemann Building Tuesday night to revel in the memories of the year and to look ahead to the future of GSB.

“This is your opportunity to take the torch and run with it,” said the new GSB President Ben Golding in his inaugural speech. “We need to build on the successes of this year’s senate.”

Lisa Dlouhy, GSB vice president, said her faith for the future of GSB lies in Golding.

“We made a pact at the beginning of our campaign, because we knew it was going to be hard, to be brutally honest,” she said. “It’s been brutal at times. I have the utmost confidence in [Ben].”

Former GSB President Matt Craft and former Vice President Garrett Toay stepped down from their year-long reign over the student government.

“The thing I like best about it is I have the opportunity to shape Iowa State University the way I think it should be shaped,” Craft said in his farewell address. “That’s a really great feeling.”

Toay said two triumphs stand out above the rest in reflection of the administration he shared with Craft.

“I would say the physical thing GSB has done that affects students is the bus shelter,” he said, referring to the $250,000 bus shelter that will be built in the commuter parking lot. The cost will be split between the university and GSB.

“It really is a great thing for the off-campus students,” Toay added. “When I come back in 20 years, I can look and say, ‘There’s the bus shelter that Matt and I put in during our administration.'”

The open debate over adopting the dry Veishea pledge was another, less tangible, thing GSB accomplished, Toay said.

GSB also is saying goodbye to its long-term Finance Director, Jeremy Williams. Stephen Medanic, former LAS senator and member of the Finance Committee, will fill the office when Williams leaves.

“I just love the student contact,” Williams said. “The best way you can represent the students is to stay a student. Don’t let GSB become your life.”

While so many were reflecting over the past year, many more were stepping into their roles and anticipating the future.

“I want to make [GSB] more responsive to students,” said Patrick Kuehn, new off-campus senator. “I think a lot of students think of GSB as a joke right now.”

Brooke Brindley, new FCS senator, said she looks forward to representing her constituents on senate.

“I want to promote the college of Family and Consumer Sciences as it well deserves to be,” she said.

As Craft handed the GSB office keys to Golding and stepped down from his presidency, the audience broke into appreciative applause.

“Respect isn’t given to you based on your position,” he told the new executives. “It’s based on your character. It’s who you are as a person.”