Daily editors in chief selected for summer, 2000-2001 school year

The Iowa State Daily has new leadership for next year.

The Daily’s Publication Board chose the new editors in chief for the summer session and fall semester Wednesday night.

Carrie Tett, junior in journalism and mass communication, will be the editor in chief for the 2000-2001 school year.

Kate Kompas, sophomore in journalism and mass communication, will be the editor in chief of the bi-weekly summer Daily.

Tett has a long history at the Daily.

“I started out here the first day of my freshman year as a reporter,” she said. “I wrote a lot — up to the point where I was writing multiple articles a day.”

She was hired as a news editor in 1998, her sophomore year, and worked as a news editor for three semesters. In the spring semester 2000, she became the managing editor at the Daily.

Tett said she will change the look of the Daily next year.

“I plan on doing a redesign of the paper and redesign our Web site to make it more inclusive of the other aspects of the Daily,” she said.

Changes to the Web site may include the incorporation of content exclusive to the site such as video, sound and advertising, she said.

Tett said she will try to carry on the tradition of the Daily.

“I hope to carry on the quality that has been building here at the Daily the last few years,” she said. “I think it’s already a great paper, and if there’s any way I can make it better, I hope I can find it.”

Kompas also began working at the Daily within her first few days at college.

“It was something I knew I wanted to do right away,” she said.

Kompas began as a reporter her freshman year, and the next year she was a news editor. In Fall 1999 she was promoted to the position she currently holds, head news editor.

“I’ve always moved up the ranks, if possible,” she said. “It’s important for people to keep moving so that young reporters have a chance to move up, too. This is my last step, and I’m looking forward to it.”

The Daily has given her incredible learning experiences, Kompas said.

“It is first and foremost a learning tool,” she said. “You learn more by doing than sitting in a classroom.”

Kompas said she expects the summer staff will have less experience than the staff during the year, and she hopes the reporters will enjoy working there this summer.

“I hope people learn a lot and have fun while doing so,” she said. “I want it to provide a fun, supportive environment.”

Kompas encourages students of any majors who will be near Ames this summer to apply for positions on the summer Daily.