Oxford instructor to speak at ISU on architecture

Jenny Joanning

An international lecturer from the Oxford Brookes University School of Architecture will be sharing his expertise on campus today.

Tom Porter, senior lecturer in graphics and design at the Oxford school, will be giving a speech titled, “Architectural Drawing and Color.”

The lecture is at 4 p.m. in the Kocimski Auditorium in the College of Design. A reception will follow.

Porter has contributed to many architecture books, including “How Architects Visualize,” “Colour Outside, Manual of Graphic Techniques” and “The Architect’s Eyes.”

The lecture will cover issues of interest to people in the fields of architecture, graphic design, interior design, landscape architecture and urban design.

“We tried to announce it to people in interior design and architecture,” said Stacy Cullison, director of Development for the College of Design.

Robert Findlay, professor and chairman of architecture, said he expects a diverse audience to attend. “It should attract students from across the college,” he said.

The lecture is cosponsored by Ron and Judy Hess, ISU College of Design alumni. Findlay said the couple has been touring universities and giving lectures with Porter and wanted to come to Iowa State.

“It’s a way for us to utilize the new auditorium,” Cullison said.

She said Ron Hess had also known about the new auditorium and the presentation would be a great way to use it.

Findlay said Porter’s lecture comes at a good time for students in the College of Design. The students are getting ready for reviews and they are working hard to get assignments and projects finished, Findlay said.

“I think he’s talking about matters of real interest to our students,” he said. “This is sort of last-minute advice.”

Findlay also said the lecture will serve as an “end of the year pep-talk” for the students.