Black Eyed Peas bring unique hip-hop with an upbeat, live sound

Kyle Moss

The California-based Black Eyed Peas don’t use their image to portray their hip-hop roots, and they don’t use money to represent it either.

Their strategy is much simpler than that. Instead, Black Eyed Peas use the lyrics and the music.

“Just cuz we dress the way we do and perform with a live band doesn’t mean we’re not hip-hop,” Black Eyed Peas rapper Will.I.Am told peeps.com. “That’s who we are, and we’re not about fronting. This isn’t about an image; this is about the music, whether it fits in the current scene or not.”

So do they fit in the current scene? This question can be argued either way. You don’t see Peas’ videos on MTV, you don’t hear Peas’ songs all over the radio, but since the group was signed by Interscope records in 1997, they have sold thousands of albums world-wide and continue to do their live show for crowded venues.

This so-called underground success has kept the Peas satisfied with their jobs. After all, their main goal is staying true to the music and spreading it out.

“Black Eyed Peas has the power to be able to create music, and through that power we hope we can influence people in a positive way,” Will said. “We’re not about preachin’, we’re just doin’ what is real to us, what gives us energy and what feels good. That’s power to us.”

Their power enabled them to put out “Behind The Front” in 1998. The album was a clever mix of funk, soul, jazz and Latin rhythms and featured the smooth hit “Joints & Jam.”

Will is joined by Apl.de.Ap and Taboo, but the trio teams up with a four piece band and back-up singer Kim Hill to bring forth the full Black Eyed Peas sound.

“We made songs that could be understood by the normal listener where you don’t have to be part of the scene to understand what we’re talking about,” Apl told peeps.com. “I know the hip-hop world will be feelin’ the Peas and so will fans of all types of music.”

Apl attributed the group’s musical and cultural boundaries, along with their live show, as to why they can relate to so many people.

But the thing the Peas use most to separate themselves from other hip-hop acts is the live band, which enables them to be much more versatile with a greater variety of sounds and relate to a wider audience.

“We wanted the emotions and spontaneity of a live group,” Will said. “Each time is like a new time because of the energy and feeling that’s put into it.”

The springtime brings the second major label release for the band, “Bridging the Gaps,” which will feature such guest artists as Wyclef Jean, Lenny Kravitz, Macy Gray, De La Soul, DJ Premier and Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl.

After Black Eyed Peas bridge the gaps, they will embark on the Smokin’ Grooves Tour this summer which runs from July 22 through August 29.

The hip-hopsters will join forces with Cypress Hill, George Clinton, Foxy Brown and Erykah Badu among others for the tour.

But before the Black Eyed Peas begin smokin’, the group will be stopping through Ames and appearing on Veishea 2000 Center Stage this Saturday at Hilton Coliseum.

Tickets for ISU students went on sale last Friday. Tickets can be bought at the Stephens Auditorium ticket office. ISU students may purchase one student ticket for $5 and one non-student ticket for $8, and they must show ISU cards and fee cards in order to buy.

ISU faculty and staff may purchase two non-student tickets at Stephens Auditorium. Each person must present a valid ISU identification. Tickets cost $8.

ISU alumni and Ames residents may buy two $8 non-student tickets as Stephens Auditorium. Ames residents must show a valid photo ID proving Ames residency. All tickets are reserved seating and will remain the same prices the day of the show.