‘Private Public’ producer ponders ISU problem with project

Chad Calek

To the editor:

This letter is to let the student body know the facts about why principle photography on the “The Private Public” has been moved from Iowa State University to Wayne State College.

I read Anita Lovejoy’s account of what the “producers” wanted in order to film at Iowa State. I have no idea what she is talking about, and I’m one of the producers!

Lovejoy claims we wanted a secured location on campus for 22 days with university security. She is completely inaccurate and wrong.

The entire shoot is 22 days, and we only needed to be on campus four to six days. We ASKED if there was available security we could employ.

We never demanded anything. We could have employed our own security, but we figured if local security wanted to be a part of the crew of this film, we would give the opportunity.

Lovejoy claimed she said we didn’t have to show them any filmed scenes unless the ISU logo or trademarks were used.

We made it clear we would not use the logo or trademarks.

The letter we received stated they wanted to see on-campus footage for approval. When the people you are negotiating with are not listening to you, it’s a losing battle.

Lovejoy said there was a concern that filming would disrupt day-to-day business. This is puzzling.

Out of the 20,000 students out there, is there anyone that would be disrupted by 35 people and a camera standing in the middle of the lawn between Curtiss and Beardshear?

Does that shut down the learning process?

If one road in front of the Memorial Union were shut down for six hours, could you not get into the Union?

This is a cheap and easy excuse anyone could use if they were looking to say “no.” Officials never wanted us there.

We gave the same proposal to Wayne State as Iowa State and they gave us full access to their campus.

They offered up dorm rooms, office space, student support and security. They never asked for money or attempted to charge us for anything.

Why? Because they are not a billion dollar university with a bottom line agenda. They have a beautiful campus and listen to their students and provide them with as many opportunities as they can. Iowa State’s agenda is to build a better football stadium when the journalism department needs new facilities.

The most depressing statement I read that summed up this whole sorry event was Professor Barbara Mack’s.

In regard to students having the opportunity to work with a professional crew and be cast for speaking roles in the film, Mack said “I don’t know whether it would make or break anyone’s career.” Well, Barbara, now we’ll never know.

But we could ask Omaha’s Chris Klein who was discovered by Alexander Pane just before shooting the independent film “Election.”

We could ask him if the opportunity to be involved in the film business was a good opportunity for him. Klein had never acted in his life before meeting Alexander.

Afterwards, Klein was cast in “American Pie,” is staring in his third motion picture and has a film career.

Klein’s story is one in a million because only one in a million people have the heart to give of themselves to provide the opportunities for dreams to come true.

I’ve been in the music and film business for over four years, and the one thing I know is it is not what you know, but who you know.

I know who is involved with this picture. I know the success they achieve on a daily basis. I also know what doors they could have opened up for any ISU student interested in a career in film.

Think about this. Iowa State takes money from you, donors, for parking meters, library fees, etc. Did it ever occur to anyone that tuition goes up every year, but the opportunities never increase?

But then again, who knows if new opportunities will make or break anyone’s career. Isn’t that a depressing view?

I’m sorry to all the student body. I tried my hardest to give back to all of you. I’m hurt that Iowa State did not want you to be a part of this dream.

Make change if you see it needs to be made. You have the power to do so.

Chad Calek

Producer/writer

“The Private Public”

Alumnus

Des Moines