Ag college chooses best man and woman

Erin Holmes

Because of their involvement and activism at Iowa State, two seniors were recently chosen as outstanding representatives of the College of Agriculture.

This year’s recipients of Ag Man and Woman of the Year are Jon Schmidt, senior in animal science, and Angie Pithan, senior in public service and administration in agriculture.

“It was a really nice honor to be recognized by my peers for my involvement within the College of Agriculture,” Pithan said.

Schmidt also appreciated being singled out for his achievements.

“It was really honorable to be the one male in the College of Ag to receive it,” he said.

Brock Helgerson, senior in agricultural education, said the Agricultural Student Council decides who receives the awards.

“A committee is appointed by the council with two co-chairs, Megan [Wonderlick] and myself,” he said.

The award is judged in specific areas including leadership on campus, academic achievement and community service, said Brian Wischmeier, president of the Agricultural Student Council and junior in agricultural studies.

Both of the candidates stood out in these areas as well as others, Helgerson said.

“The main criteria for applying for the award is you must be a senior enrolled in the College of Ag,” he said. “We look for students that have been deeply involved in the College of Ag — participating in the many clubs on campus, emphasizing on the ones in the College of Ag and helping out on other various activities in the college.”

This year the application also included a r‚sum‚ from each of the applicants, Helgerson said.

Choosing the top agricultural man and woman was a trying task, he said.

“We received many applications from students that had great involvement in the College of Ag, and many of them also had great work experience, which made for a difficult choice.

“What made these applicants stand out from the others is we looked at which ones we thought could best represent the university to a new student, which applicants could best explain how to get involved in clubs in the College of Agriculture,” Helgerson said.

Some of Schmidt’s involvement within the college includes being a member of Block & Bridle, Agricultural Student Council, ISU Meats Judging team, Collegiate Beef team, Alpha Gamma Rho and the Pre-Vet Club.

“[I have] been involved in other things outside the college … which is what you don’t see along with being involved in the college,” Schmidt said.

In the future, Schmidt plans on pursuing a career in veterinary medicine or attending graduate school.

Pithan’s activities include the Agricultural Student Council, National Agri Marketing Association (NAMA), Block & Bridle, Sigma Alpha, Alpha Zeta and Public Service and Administration (PSA) Club. Last year, she was the Veishea public relations co-chair.

After graduation, Pithan plans to pursue a job in marketing or public relations for an agricultural company in the Memphis, Tenn., area, where her fianc‚ currently resides.