Student groups go home emptyhanded from GSB meeting

Wendy Weiskircher

Student representatives from campus organizations will be making an appearance at next week’s Government of the Student Body senate meeting, after senators voted Wednesday night to postpone debate on the GSB allocations to those student groups.

After the students and advisers watched the 45-minute debate, the senators decided to postpone the bill that presented the GSB Finance Committee’s recommendations for each group’s funding, giving senators another week to research the recommendations.

“I don’t feel that I could justify voting to cut a group’s funding without knowing why [it was cut],” said Lisa Dlouhy, off campus. “I don’t want a group to come to me next year and say, ‘You passed this bill and you didn’t know what was going on.'”

Although the Finance Committee provided a list of funding and the finance committee’s vote for each group, some senators said they needed more information than was provided.

“We’re blindly cutting funding,” said Andrew Tofilon, LAS. “We know what the votes were but not why they were that way. We’re spending millions of dollars here. Every student should be as informed as possible.”

However, other senators said the extension is unnecessary, since the bill was presented at the last senate meeting two weeks ago.

“We know how we’re going to vote on this issue,” said Jonathon Weaver, TRA. “Let’s stop wasting our time. The students are here. Let’s do this.”

After the vote to postpone, the student representatives filed out of the room, many angered by the senate decision.

“I don’t think it is worthwhile to have each of the senators go over all the numbers,” said Phillip Greco, YMCA representative. “My group needs to get going.”

He added that he thinks the senators did not do their jobs by failing to research the recommendations prior to the meeting.

Finance Director Jeremy Williams said few senators requested information about the recommendations.

“You have to ask for the information,” he told the senators. “I don’t know what more to provide.”

In addition to the vote sheets and recommended amounts for each group, Williams reported and explained the major changes in the budget.

President Matt Craft said the vote should not have been postponed. “It really bothers me that 75 hours of work by the Finance Committee was stifled by 45 minutes of debate,” he said.

GSB adviser Rob Weise also expressed his disapproval with the decision.”This is the most important thing you guys do, and you messed up,” he said

The student representatives will return next week, after the senate uses the extension to research the recommendations.

“It’s not about what we’re giving, it’s about what you’re not getting,” Dlouhy told the student representatives. “This is a big deal.”