Ethernet bill stalls in IRHA parliament

Amber Billings

Inter-Residence Hall Association representatives will be asking their residents’ opinions this week about a new IRHA ethernet bill that had its voting postponed.

A bill introduced at Thursday’s IRHA meeting that proposes lower rates for ethernet use was waived from a second read because it seemed to have widespread support. However, the voting was postponed until this week’s meeting because many representatives wanted to go back to their associations to discuss it.

According to the bill, the Department of Residence has given IRHA the choice of how to use a $55,000 discretionary fund. This year, the money was used to supplement CyRide’s Brown Route. Department officials said if IRHA decided to use the money for ethernet, they would contribute an additional $18,000 to lower the cost.

The monthly fee would be no more than $6 a month, and there would be no reconnection or installment fees. All students, regardless of whether they own computers, would have to pay for ethernet service if the bill passed.

Bill Wychulis, Tower Residence Association president, said the money should be used for the bill.

“I am personally in favor of this,” Wychulis said. “I am in favor of seeing the $55,000 go toward a worthy cause.”

Lower Friley Representative Terry Demmer said ethernet users would like the bill.

“Who wouldn’t be happy if you took 50 percent off of their bill?” Demmer asked.

However, not all of the parliament members were in favor of the bill. Many of them said waiving the bill’s second read was wrong because they wouldn’t be able to talk about it with their associations.

Nathan Ohrt, Richardson Court Association president, said he would have liked to discuss the bill with RCA residents before voting.

“RCA voted against it,” Ohrt said. “I say we postpone this bill.”

Birch-Welch-Roberts Representative Chris Benson did not agree with the waive and said it is too much responsibility for one group to vote on a bill that would affect all ISU residents.

“I vote no because you’re talking about a huge change of where money is going and is left into the hands of 20 people,” Benson said.

Secretary Seana Brandenburg said the number of students using the ethernet wasn’t high enough for all students to have to pay for it.

“We shouldn’t pass it if only 48 percent of students use the ethernet,” she said. “If someone can’t afford a computer, they wouldn’t want to pay for ethernet.”