Communication expands with hands

Kristin Guiter

Conversations on the ISU campus may become more visible — literally.

ISU students are learning how to communicate with deaf and hearing-impaired students at sign language classes taught by a professional interpreter.

People Understanding Disabilities (PUD), a student organization dedicated to increasing students’ awareness of disabilities, is sponsoring four spring sign-language lessons.

These hour-long classes are part of a PUD objective to help students learn to communicate with deaf and hearing-impaired people, said Chris Little, PUD treasurer.

“PUD is trying to make the university more aware of the needs of deaf students on campus and the communication challenges that face deaf students,” said Little, senior in animal science.

Jenna Murphy, interpreter from the Deaf Action Center in Des Moines, teaches the classes to interested students and staff, said Joyce Packwood, PUD adviser.

“She is basically teaching students how to say names, ‘How are you?’ and simple questions,” said Packwood, ISU disability resource coordinator.

Murphy and three assistant instructors teach American Sign Language (ASL), said assistant instructor Bethany Noyes.

“The first week, we taught the alphabet. Then we taught emotions. Then, of course, we taught signs like ‘I understand’ and ‘I don’t understand,'” said Noyes, sophomore in chemical engineering.

Murphy vocally facilitated the first class but did not speak during the second class, which included symbols for numbers and more words, Noyes said.

“If the class did not understand, [Murphy] would fingerspell the words until they understood,” she said. “I have to admit, even to myself, that the silence was very deafening. It’s ironic that I would say that because I am hearing-impaired myself, but I do gain quite a bit of hearing from my hearing aids.”

Murphy was unable to make the third class due to weather conditions, but the assistant instructors taught the class how to sign animals and times, Noyes said.

The fourth and final class will be held tonight at 6 in the Cardinal Room of the Memorial Union and is free to the ISU community.

“In this class, you learn things about the importance of eye contact with the deaf, how to get their attention and, obviously, how to communicate with them,” Noyes said.

There have typically been about 15 students and staff members participating in the classes, said assistant instructor Candice Goodwin, freshman in psychology.

“We don’t want to teach more than about 30 at a time because the group would be too large for Jenna to handle by herself,” Little said. “A lot of personal demonstration is required when teaching sign language.”

Packwood said she would like to see sign language offered as a permanent course at Iowa State.

“I am working with the LAS department and am hoping to find someone who will be willing to set up a class,” she said.

Students of all majors can benefit from learning sign language, she said.

“Social work, teaching, police work … you name it, it’s useful,” Packwood said. “It is very important to the community of students who are deaf here — it gives them the opportunity to talk more.”

Packwood said she predicts a class will be available by the fall 2000 semester.

“I think it shows that ISU is going forward to add diversity to their curriculum when they add the sign language class,” she said.