Teaching children water safety helps PE students learn

Missy Idso

Students in PE 115 do more than play in the pool — they learn practical teaching skills.

Physical Education 115 is a water-safety instruction class offered by Iowa State, in which students teach water-safety classes to local children ages 4 to 7.

“The unique part of this class is that the [ISU] students are learning hands-on about how to teach while they are teaching,” said John McVan, aquatic specialist and physical activities coordinator at Iowa State.

“Our main objective is to orient the children with the pool, along with safety and some elementary water moves,” McVan said. “When they leave, the children are ready to join a structured swimming program.”

McVan said practical experience is important to anyone preparing to be a teacher.

“I feel that teachers become better teachers by teaching,” he said. “There is great value to these practicum experiences.”

The children enrolled become more aware of the water and all the safety issues surrounding it, while at the same time, students are taught by the children what they need to do to become better instructors, McVan said.

Scott Koebel, junior in forestry, is a former participant in the course, and said it was a great experience to work with the kids.

“I feel that the children learn better when there is an unstructured environment with no pressure from either side,” Koebel said.

Taryn Dunlap, senior in religious studies, is also a former instructor. She said she enjoyed the format of the classes.

“We got to work with kids early on and not just go through lectures,” she said. “I learned how to be a good teacher using hands-on, one-on-one training.”

The students enrolled in the four-week course spend about an hour with the children as instructors and then two hours with McVan learning more about the mechanics of the strokes and the skills of motor learning.

Erin Isvik, freshman in computer engineering, is currently enrolled in the course and said she enjoys learning how to work with the kids.

“I think it’s neat to be involved in this hands-on way of teaching,” Isvik said.

Ames residents Libby and Warren Franke said their son, Will, will definitely continue with swimming lessons and activities after he’s completed the course.

“It helps the kids get used to the water so they are not as afraid of it,” Warren Franke said. “Plus, they have a good time.”

McVan said response to the course has been positive.

“We like to keep the ratio [of] one student to two or three children. We have had to turn many children away because there aren’t enough students signed up for the class,” McVan said.

The class has a few prerequisites. Those who register for the course must complete water-safety instruction as well as life-guarding instruction training. First, students must pass a written pre-test and a water exam and have a valid life-guarding certificate.

The water safety instruction class is held Monday nights in the Forker Building pool from 6:15 p.m. to 7 p.m. The class will run until Feb. 21.