Cordaro, Olson seek student connection

Wendy Weiskircher

Editor’s Note: This is the first in a four-part series the Daily is running to inform the students of Iowa State about the candidates in the Government of the Student Body executive race.

With a goal of turning up the volume of students’ voices on campus, two current Government of the Student Body senators have teamed up to run as a slate in the executive race.

Rick Cordaro, junior in electrical engineering from Des Moines, is one of the four candidates for president.

“It’s no secret that the administration is the highest level of authority on campus,” he said. “But students are the reason they’re here, and students are the reason we’re all here. According to the GSB constitution, GSB is the recognized body for students.”

To represent the students, Cordaro and his running mate, Alex Olson, have concentrated their platform on three main issues: communication, committees and cooperation.

Communication, Cordaro said, is the primary way to get things done.

“It’s not just about communication with the administration; it’s about communicating with the students,” Cordaro said. “You can’t stand out and let students come to you; you have to go to them.”

A large part of their campaign is based on communication, he added.

“The easiest way to figure out what works is to look at the campaign,” Cordaro said. “What are we doing? We’re going to the students, and we will keep going to the students if we’re elected.”

The slate also has incorporated communication into its campaign with an interactive Web site at www.iastate.edu/~vote. The Web site includes the candidates’ biographical information, their stances on current topics, general GSB information and a survey in which students may voice their opinions on issues.

The pair has plans to enhance communication if they are elected by issuing a weekly newsletter to student groups and interested students, Cordaro said.

But while communication may initiate GSB action, Cordaro said he and Olson need students to make it happen.

“The GSB president can’t do it alone,” he said. “We need a unified student body. How do we get them involved? Committees.”

The second aspect of the Cordaro/Olson platform is increasing student participation in GSB through the university committees, which are joint committees between GSB and the university.

“The university committees are awesome,” Cordaro said. “There are plenty of spots, and it’s not just for senators; it’s for all students. That’s how students can get their voice heard.”

If Cordaro and Olson are elected, they said they would alter the way committees are handled.

“Right now, Chris Wisher, vice speaker of the senate, is in charge of the committees, and he’s done a marvelous job,” Cordaro said.

Olson, sophomore in agricultural business from Lake Mills, said if the constitutional amendments pass, the GSB vice president would be in charge of the appointments committee instead of the vice speaker of the senate.

“We want to fill those committees,” Olson said. “And we will.”

Cooperation, the third part of the platform, is imperative, Cordaro said.

“Cooperation is a unified, glorified theme,” he said. “To me, cooperation is a fluffy word that doesn’t mean much, but it is imperative that we cooperate.

“We have to cooperate with students on their level,” Cordaro continued. “It means going out to the student group meetings. No one wants to go to a GSB meeting.”

Olson said he is accustomed to the responsibilities of the vice president. The vice president is in charge of running the senate meetings, and as current speaker of the house, Olson already has that experience.

“It’s essential that if you’re running the meeting, you know what you’re doing,” he said. “Parliamentary procedure gets things done as fast as possible. The minority is heard, and the majority rules.”

Cordaro said his interest in the issues inspired him to run for GSB president.

“It’s a big year with the fee split and everything, and I want to be there on the forefront and help resolve this issue,” he said. “We’re doing this to keep fees and tuition low. I know every president says that every year, but this year we actually have a chance. I think we can get in there and really make a difference.”

Cordaro and Olson believe they can bring strong leadership experience to the table.

Cordaro, current Union Drive Association senator, has served on many committees and created a committee to explore the possibility for online voting in GSB elections.

Olson, current off-campus senator, is the speaker of the senate and is the chairman of the GSB rules committee and the GSB/Inter-Residence Hall Association special committee on the Department of Residence.

Their experience, so far, has been positive, Olson said.

“It’s been a phenomenal time,” he said. “We believe GSB needs strong leadership every year. We feel we make a good team and can serve the students well.”