Maple residents still lacking some furniture

Amber Billings

Delays on the delivery of furniture and computers have been a topic of concern among Maple Hall residents during the past few months.

Some of the things students were promised include new desks, chairs, file cabinets, computers and white boards.

However, when they moved into the newly renovated dorm at the beginning of fall semester, residents were greeted with bare spots in their halls. Currently, there are still some Maple houses that have not received their furniture.

Director of Residence Randy Alexander said the holdup was caused by a production delay at Iowa Prison Industries. That company supplied the majority of the furniture to the hall over the summer. It had been shut down for several weeks during the summer.

“We were supposed to receive everything the first week of August,” Alexander said.

When everyone moved in, Alexander said all of the beds were in place for the students and most of the desks also were there.

Maple Hall Director Lynn Meyer said there haven’t been many student complaints about the delays, and it seemed that everyone was happy since they had all of the bulletin boards and computers.

“As of right now, we are waiting for the whirling files, which are filing cabinets on wheels, and on Friday we should be getting another shipment of white boards,” Meyer said.

Many items came past their receiving dates, and that caused some Maple residents to become frustrated.

Eric Schauberger, freshman in biology, said some Maple residents feel that they should be compensated in some way because of the wait.

“On our floor, we were the last ones to get the bookcases, and we just got the cabinets,” said Schauberger, resident of Walls House. “I think we should get some money back because it costs more to live in Maple.”

Not all students feel that they should be compensated but said they didn’t enjoy the wait for their furniture.

Lisa Kollasch, freshman in pre-journalism and mass communication, was not happy about the delays.

“It’s really frustrating,” said Kollasch, resident of Shilling House. “They keep giving us dates, and it never comes on time. I don’t think we should be compensated. The stuff just should’ve been there earlier.”

Students are awaiting the arrival of the rest of Maple’s belongings, and Alexander said that wait is almost over.

“In the next couple of weeks, everything should be there,” he said.