Studying pays off on some dorm floors

Amber Billings

Several residence hall floors are giving students more bang for their academic buck.

Through a program called Study Bucks, students seen studying by a floor’s resident assistant or community adviser can receive slips of paper money that can later be redeemed for prizes. This program is conducted in Birch-Welch-Roberts Halls.

Kurt Earnest, academic services coordinator, said that around 1997, Hall Director Torin Akey designed the program for BWR residents to support academics in the halls.

“It’s a method of acknowledging students who study,” Earnest said.

He said RAs and CAs believe the program draws attention to the importance of academics.

“It also improves the culture in the hallways, and we believe that more people are studying [because of it],” Earnest said.

While RAs or CAs are conducting their rounds and see a student studying, they will give the resident one “study buck,” which can be redeemed for prizes later in the semester.

Study Bucks isn’t the only residence hall program intended to get residents to hit the books.

Some Linden Hall residents said they have mixed feelings about their study program, titled “Linden Loot,” which works similarly to Study Bucks.

Jessi Ranheim, undeclared freshman, said the program was a good idea, but only to a certain extent.

“The program kind of gets manipulated because people go crazy [about Linden Loot],” she said. “I think the RAs give them out too easily.”

Amy Rozenboom, Linden Hall director, said that at the end of each semester, the hall holds a silent auction where students can purchase items with their vouchers. Different prizes, including movies, CDs, pop and candy, are up for bids.

“We did it last semester, and the students reacted really well to it,” Rozenboom said. “We received lots of positive feedback and definitely got the concept of studying to the students.”

Oak-Elm Hall has two study programs. Kim Araya, Oak-Elm Hall director, said she started both programs when she was appointed hall director in the fall of 1998.

The Smarties program is similar to the study bucks program. Instead of study bucks, the RAs on duty hand out Smarties candy and stickers to studying residents.

The other program, the Oak-Elm Challenge, rewards residents for good grades. When a resident receives an “A” on her tests or papers, her RA puts her name in a raffle. At the end of each month, the RAs draw out a name for a prize.

“The prizes are gift certificates at the University Book Store for $25, $15 or $10,” Araya said.

All of the prizes and cash for the Oak-Elm programs are funded by its programming board.

With the Oak-Elm Challenge, each floor sets a semester GPA goal of 3.0, with a prize of $50 if the residents reach it.

“Last semester, all of Oak-Elm made their goal and beyond with a 3.06 GPA,” Araya said. “Both programs have been very successful.”