Moscow Chamber Orchestra brings traditional music

Jeremy Gustafson

Iowa State students will experience authentic Russian chamber music when the world-renowned Moscow Chamber Orchestra performs tonight at Stephens Auditorium.

Created by conductor and violinist Rudolf Barshai, the Moscow Chamber Orchestra has been performing for sold-out crowds throughout Europe and the United States since 1956.

Paul Ferrone, director of performing arts for the Iowa State Center, says that the uniqueness of the orchestra is one of its most appealing qualities.

“There aren’t many opportunities to see an orchestra of this quality here,” Ferrone said. “It will be very special.”

The orchestra features such recognized soloists as Mstislav Rostropovich, Sviatoslav Richter and Vladimir Spivakov and will be playing songs from such classical artists as Mozart and Prokofiev.

The chamber orchestra consists of about 25 members, making it much smaller and more intimate than a usual orchestra.

“Because of the small size, each member has to be very good,” Ferrone said. “Each member is almost a virtuoso in their own right.”

The show will also feature a critically acclaimed version of Tchaikovsky’s “Serenade for Strings.”

“It’s always nice to hear Russian music by a Russian orchestra,” said music professor Mark Laycock, who works in the orchestra division of Music Hall. “This will be a good chance for students to experience how the smaller chamber orchestra works together. Students will see how the musicians watch and interact with each other.”

A pre-show presentation will take place at 7 p.m. in the Celebrity Cafe of Stephens Auditorium. The presentation is presented by Emil and Mary Kay Polashek, who will speak about the music, the show and the performers to help give people an idea of what they are about to see.

Ferrone said the performance is expected to host 1,200 to 1,300 people and run for about two hours.

The show is presented in conjunction with the Ames International Orchestra Festival Association and is sponsored by First National Bank.

“It is an excellent opportunity to support the community and performing arts in Ames,” First National Bank Marketing Officer Nicole Gebhart said. “We enjoy the opportunity to be involved.”