Christmas decorations bring a touch of home to dorm rooms

Amie Van Overmeer

Strings of lights, Christmas trees, candy canes, garland and doors wrapped up like presents are just a few of the decorations decking the halls of residence halls this holiday season.

In the spirit of the season, many students have decorated their rooms to make themselves feel more at home.

Lawther House in Helser Hall has gotten into the Christmas spirit through its decorations. The floor has a bulletin board with Christmas lights, a Santa and a list of the residents who are on Santa’s list. The floor also is having a door-decorating contest.

Kristen Maassen, sophomore in chemical engineering, is one Lawther resident who has decorated her door. Maassen’s door has stockings hanging on a fake fireplace with small presents resting on the mantle. A wreath hangs above the fireplace.

“Last year, I put up the mantle,” she said. “I did it again because our floor is having a contest.”

Maassen said she has received many reactions from people who pass her door.

“A lot of people stop and say ‘nice door,'” she said. “Sometimes I get weird looks from people who walk by.”

Maassen said her mom gave her the trimmings for her room.

“It was her way to bring home here,” she said. “She gets me lights for every holiday.”

She said she is going to add more decorations to her room.

Sarah Deardorff, Willow Hall resident and freshman in pre-journalism and mass communication, said her room’s decorations make her feel more at home.

“It gets us in the Christmas spirit and makes it seem like we’re home,” she said.

Deardorff said her decorations, which cover her door, closet and windows, give her and her roommate some relief from the stress of studying.

“It helps us get excited for Christmas and forget about finals,” she said.

Many students said they decorated their rooms after break. Lyndsy Blair from Willow Hall decorated her room with items she brought from home. Blair, freshman in journalism and mass communication, said she and many of the residents on her floor have decked out their rooms to spread the Christmas cheer.

“Christmas is my favorite holiday, and I always decorate my room at home,” she said.