IRHA may withdraw LGBTA bill

Amie Van Overmeer

A bill funding presentations about lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues in the residence halls might be withdrawn at tonight’s Inter-Residence Hall Association.

Instead, the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Ally Alliance and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Student Services Speakers Bureau will ask each residence association to allocate $100 to the program.

The LGBTAA/LGBTSS Speakers Bureau asked IRHA for $300 to support presentations in the residence halls. A presentation will be given in each residence association to raise awareness of LGBT students in the residence halls.

The bill was discussed at length last week after the first read was waived. Parliament members waived the first read so that they could get more information about the bill.

Jeremy Hayes, IRHA director of information technology and LGBTAA information coordinator, said the LGBTAA and LGBTSS had not planned on the presentations and hence needed funding from other sources to give the presentations.

IRHA was the first group the LGBTAA and LGBTSS had approached for funding. However, Hayes said the groups are going to ask each residence association for funding instead of IRHA. The IRHA bill will probably be withdrawn.

“We’re trying to change it and have it work through the three associations,” Hayes said. “That’s what IRHA wanted us to do.”

Several parliament members suggested the groups ask individual association governments for funding before this week’s meeting.

“We prefer to see it go through individual associations and have their residents decide what to do,” said IRHA Vice President Joe Foster.

The Towers Residence Association Senate already has passed a bill that will allocate $100 to the Speakers Bureau. Neither the Richardson Court Association Assembly nor the Union Drive Association Senate has allocated any money yet.

Brian Cameron, TRA president, was one of the authors of the TRA bill.

“We felt that since it would happen in each association, we should fund it in each association,” he said.

Cameron said he also has talked to other associations about introducing a similar bill in their associations.

“UDA and RCA are trying to do the same thing hopefully. If the other associations didn’t pass the bill, I’d be very upset. I signed it on the good faith that the others would sign it,” he said.

“If [the IRHA bill] passes, Towers will have to pay twice,” Foster said.

Cameron said he expected the other associations to fund $100 since the TRA bill passed with just one abstention.

If the IRHA bill is withdrawn, Cameron said a resolution probably would be written that supported the activities of the LGBTAA/LGBTSS Speakers Bureau.

The meeting will be held in Maple-Willow-Larch Large Conference Room at 7 p.m.

Other items on the agenda for tonight’s meeting are:

• A vote on a funding bill for campus radio station KURE (88.5 FM). The bill will give the Government of the Student Body the majority of the station’s funding after five years.
  • The first read of a bill that addresses the communication between IRHA and the Department of Residence concerning changes to the terms and conditions.
  • The first read of a funding bill that will allocate $700 to have Katie Koestner, a nationally known speaker, come to Iowa State for a speech.
  • A discussion with Gary Schwartz, associate director of residence, about the possibility of having Ethernet connections automatically hooked up in every room.