Some students disturbed by leaders’ lack of global knowledge

Tara Payne

Recent blunders on questions concerning foreign affairs by presidential candidates, including GOP front-runner George W. Bush, have sparked debate among some Iowa State students as to how important knowledge of global affairs is in a presidential candidate.

Nina Avrianty, senior in finance from Jakarta, Indonesia, said she understands why candidates might lack knowledge of other nations, but she wishes they would realize how important the position of U.S. president is.

“They are concerned more about local issues, but at the same time, they are candidates for one of the most powerful countries in the world,” she said.

Although Bush not knowing the names of some world leaders did not necessarily bother her, Avrianty said she thought candidates need to be knowledgeable on the conditions in other countries.

“They should be aware about world issues in general, such as the political situations in other countries,” Avrianty said.

Nidhi Bhandari, graduate student in chemical engineering from India, also said she thinks domestic affairs should be more important to the candidates.

“It’s the people here who vote them into office,” she said. “They are going feel that their issues are more important than things going on outside the country.”

But Bhandari said the United States in general should be more tuned into foreign affairs because it is the most powerful nation in the world.

“They should be aware of what’s going on in the world so they can make decisions,” she said.

Bhandari said the U.S. government should have more of a proactive approach to world issues than a reactive approach.

“They have a lot of power that they should use before something happens,” she said.

This should include using military muscle to help maintain peace and to help other countries’ economies, Bhandari said.

Bhandari said although she didn’t think it was important for presidential candidates to know the name of every foreign leader, it’s indicative of the American public in general.

“People in America tend not to be aware of what is really happening in the world,” she said. “This is because things that are happening in the world don’t impact them.”

American students also think that the candidates need to know more about international affairs than what they have shown so far.

“If they’re going to lead our nation, they should know what’s going on globally,” said Sarah Lacijan, junior in agriculture engineering.

Lacijan said she thinks it’s important for candidates to know of economic situations in foreign countries since the United States is known for its economic support to other countries.

Phil Schriver, sophomore in graphic design, agreed the candidates should be up-to-date on foreign affairs.

“They should be concerned with domestic issues first, but should worry about the world because our economy is international,” Schriver said.

Schriver said it surprised him the candidates wouldn’t know the names of world leaders.

“It’s their job,” he said. “Ordinary people aren’t going to know as much, but they should.”