ISU students raise money for United Way

Amber Billings

Iowa State students have organized fund-raising events this week for United Way, a nonprofit organization that donates money to charities.

United Way Week kicked off Monday with a variety of ongoing activities, including can collections and a bucket drive, and it will continue with “Miss-A-Meal” and limousine services.

Scott Berscheid, founder and chairman of United Way Week activities, started the event last year.

“United Way Week’s purpose is that we’re asking students to donate to United Way and to show their support,” said Berscheid, junior in psychology, human relations and marketing.

Laura Banasik, university relations coordinator for United Way, said United Way decided to run the event again because of the success of last year’s drive. Banasik said many different charities will receive money raised from this year’s campaign.

“It’ll go towards organizations such as the Alzheimer’s Association, Ames Community Preschool, the Boys and Girls Club, the Center for Addiction and Recovery and the YMCA,” said Banasik, freshman in human resource management.

The first activity of the week was the can collection, which will continue until Thanksgiving break. United Way will take the cans collected in bins throughout campus and recycle them.

If a student wants to turn in cans, they can contact Sara Wood at 572-5732 or Berscheid at 292-2161.

Another effort is the campus bucket drive, which will last all week. Volunteers will be holding out buckets at four or five different locations for students to donate their spare change.

As another fund raiser, limousine services will be provided on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. United Way members will shuttle students anywhere on campus for $1 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

“Miss-A-Meal” also is making a reappearance this year on Oct. 27. United Way will ask all residence hall members and greek residents to skip their evening dinner service meals, and the money saved in preparing the food will go toward the week’s grand total.

Last year, “Miss-A-Meal” raised $3,100 for area organizations, and Berscheid anticipates it will be the biggest fund raiser of the campaign.