Sculpture moves ‘Forward’ to campus

Kristin Guiter

An aluminum sculpture of walking figures has been keeping pace with Iowa State students since its relocation to central campus.

“Forward,” a sculpture by William King, was transported this month from north of the Iowa State Center to the area southwest of Parks Library.

“We were looking to make it physically and intellectually accessible to students,” said Lynette Pohlman, director of University Museums.

The sculpture, which is 12 feet tall and 18 feet long, was placed near the Scheman Building in 1990. However, the sculpture was on loan from the artist, so a concrete foundation was not installed, Pohlman said.

ISU donors James and Barbara Palmer, alumni from State College, Pa., acquired the sculpture for the university in 1991, and “Forward” became part of ISU’s permanent art collection.

Over the years, the lack of foundation was warping the sculpture, Pohlman said. This problem prompted the university to consider relocation in connection with the creation of a permanent foundation.

The area on central campus near the library was chosen because it would expose the sculpture to a larger number of students, she said.

The goal was to “place the sculpture in a place visible to students; it is in a perfect place,” said Mary Atherly, collections manager for University Museums.

The sculpture gives the impression that the figures are moving along with the crowd, Atherly said.

“Art imitates life; the sculpture is walking with the students,” Pohlman said.

The sculpture’s new location provides a different perspective of the artist’s work, Pohlman said.

“Art is seen differently in different locations,” she said. “When it is in sight, thoughts and ideas are stimulated.”

Pohlman said she has received positive feedback from the ISU community since the move.

Students are happy to have the sculpture on campus, Atherly said.

The sculpture most likely will be rotated to another site on campus in the future, but it will remain at its current location for a number of years, Pohlman said.

King also is the artist who created “Stride,” the sculpture near the entrance to the Lied Recreation Athletic Center.

The Palmers, who donated “Forward,” are collectors of modern art and recently purchased two additional sculptures for ISU.

“Ariel” and “Hub,” sculptures by Seymour Lipton, were donated by the Palmers and are stationed in the recently dedicated Howe Hall. The two sculptures were presented Friday as part of the Order of the Knoll, Atherly said.