Students come out for campus rally

Kate Kompas

Editor’s note: This is the second in a five-part series on National Coming Out Days, celebrated this week.

The resounding message from Monday’s National Coming Out Day rally was get involved, get active and get awareness out about the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community at Iowa State.

The kickoff event for National Coming Out Days was hosted by ISU’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Alliance. The student organization has activities to promote LGBT issues scheduled all week long.

The day was blessed with clear skies and sunshine, as about 70 people attended the rally, which was held on central campus at noon.

Ripples of rainbows were seen in clothing and accessories throughout the audience, which was composed of laid-back members and supporters of the LGBT community.

Several prominent members of that community spoke on issues ranging from politics to donating money to LGBT-friendly causes.

In reference to the hate-crime murder of gay University of Wyoming student Matthew Shepard, Steve Sabin, activist and pastor of Lord of Lutheran Life Church, said he wants America’s climate for gays and lesbians to change and he wants it to change now.

“I don’t want any more martyrs,” he said, adding on a positive note that he was very pleased to see so many people supporting the day’s events.

“Thank you for coming out today,” he said. “It is a life-affirming act.”

The rally also had a political tone. Speaker Curt Lund, the Alliance liaison for the Safe Zone project, said he wanted to stress that LGBT students get out and vote in the upcoming election.

“Don’t let our voice be silenced by the masses who are congregating against us,” urged Lund, junior in graphic design.

Jeremy Hayes, information coordinator for the Alliance, said he thought the event went well and that the presenters got their message across.

“A lot of the speakers said some things that really needed to be said: ‘Don’t just come out today; stay active all year long,'” said Hayes, undeclared sophomore.

Hayes said the organization has gotten positive feedback about the week’s events, especially “Coming Out in the Residence Halls,” which is scheduled for Thursday, noon to 1:30 p.m. in Chessman Lounge of Helser Hall.

“[The residence halls] seems to be where the most tension is on campus,” he said. “You can be out in class; you can be out in groups, but when you take it home, it seems to upset people.”

Sarah Schweitzer, president of the Alliance, said her goal for the event and for the year is to give the Alliance visibility at ISU. She said although the climate for LGBT students has improved, the organization is there for students if they need support.

“The year is going really well,” said Schweitzer, sophomore in history. “Membership is pretty average, but there’s a lot of new people this year.”

The rally also had an array of LGBT-friendly buttons, T-shirts and literature. One member of the community took it upon himself to make his own support buttons.

Jonathon Weaver, sophomore in history and Government of the Student Body senator, made his “I AM” buttons in the Workspace of the Memorial Union. The buttons, which are in hot pink or rainbow colors, are free and, as he jokingly told the crowd, are “the secret handshake.”

Weaver said he made the buttons so LGBT students can become more familiar with one another without feeling unsure or intimidated. They’re his own “pet project,” not affiliated with the Alliance.

The buttons are free, and Weaver said he’s given away about 85 within the past week. To obtain a button, e-mail him at [email protected].