Student to honor Carver at building dedication

Katie Goldsmith

George Washington Carver’s legacy at Iowa State is felt not only locally, but nationally as well.

Charles Stewart, senior in agricultural biochemistry, has been chosen to give the opening address Wednesday in Washington, D.C., at the dedication ceremony of a U.S. Department of Agriculture building dedicated to Carver.

“Charles was chosen primarily because he is the president of the national MANRRS [Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences] organization, an influential student organization made up of students who aspire to careers in the areas of agriculture and natural resources,” said Eric Hoiberg, associate dean of agriculture for academic and state programs.

The building is part of the Beltsville, Md., USDA facility and is being used for operational programs and research administration for the Agricultural Research Service, Hoiberg said.

Stewart was chosen to speak about a month ago, Hoiberg said. Other speakers include David Topel, dean of ISU’s College of Agriculture, U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Dan Glickman and President Bill Clinton.

“Student representatives will also be present from the other universities attended by George Washington Carver,” said Nina Grant, director of agriculture minority programs and adviser of the ISU chapter of MANRRS. Those colleges are Simpson College in Indianola and Tuskegee University in Tuskegee, Ala.

“I think Charles has a unique role in that he’s not only representing Iowa State students, but also this national organization,” Grant said. “So it’s students across the nation that he’s representing by being the national president of MANRRS.”

Stewart said he will be giving a small opening speech.

“I’ll be giving some opening remarks concerning George Washington Carver, concerning the advances that he made in agriculture and minorities in agriculture,” Stewart said.

A delegation from ISU will arrive this evening in Washington, D.C. Attending members of the ISU community are: Hoiberg; Grant; Topel; Gerald Klonglan, associate dean of agriculture; Jeff Johnson, director of the ISU Alumni Association; Jamie Stensland, president of the alumni board; Robert King, president of the ISU chapter of MANRRS and junior in food science; and Nicole Gale, graduate assistant for MANRRS.

The dedication will be Wednesday at 2 p.m., followed by an alumni reception for graduates of Simpson, ISU and Tuskegee, Hoiberg said.

“We feel very privileged to have been asked to participate in this momentous occasion,” Hoiberg said. “Leaders in the USDA recognized the significant role that education played in the development of this remarkable person, and we are proud to have been part of Carver’s personal and professional story.”

Stewart expressed some nervousness about the upcoming ceremony.

“It’s a chance to speak out in front of President Clinton and Vice President Gore — these are very prominent people,” he said. “It’s probably the biggest crowd that I’ve ever had to speak in front of.”

Hoiberg said the ceremony ties in well to last year’s university-wide theme, “Inspiring students to become their best: The Legacy of George Washington Carver.”

“It helps us to continue our celebration of George Washington Carver as a symbol of the importance of personal dedication, imagination and creative vision — a positive lesson for all students, faculty, staff and alumni of Iowa State University.”