Cell phones common accessory for students

Katie Goldsmith

You may think your ears are ringing, but don’t worry. Ringing is becoming a familiar sound at Iowa State, as more and more students invest in cellular phones.

Area suppliers said they have seen an increase in the number of college students purchasing cellular phones.

“We see anywhere from 20 to 25 percent more every year,” said Teri Hornberg, manager of Spring Valley Communication, 2801 Grand Ave.

Other local cellular phone retailers agreed with Hornburg.

“It’s becoming a little more common. It seems like it’s almost to the point where more college students have them than don’t,” said Brian Werner, manager of the Wireless Store’s Main Street location.

Hornberg said she thought less expensive long-distance rates are the main reasons that students use cellular phones.

She said some companies are starting to offer a nationwide no-toll plan in which students can call anywhere in the United States for free, as long as they are in Iowa.

“So, if they live in California, they can call home for free using their 500 free minutes,” she said.

Werner said other reasons for college students to use cellular phones are for emergencies and for convenience.

“The world is getting to be a convenience world. They find that it makes their world easier and they start to use them,” Werner said.

Adam Doran, freshman in sociology, has had his cellular phone for about two months.

“I got it out of convenience. I’m not home a lot, and I have work, and I’m involved in a lot of activities, so I like to be available for my friends,” he said.

Alison Feddersen, sophomore in journalism and mass communication, also purchased her cellular phone in case of an emergency.

“I figured, I’m in my car, which is not the safest car, and it might be good to have it if it broke down,” she said.

Emily Ostercamp, freshman in early childhood education, said she also got her cell phone about a year and a half ago for emergencies and to cut down on long-distance bills.

“It’s cut back on costs because you get so many minutes and by the time you pay your phone bill at home, it’s cheaper to have a cell phone and you have it for emergency when you need it,” she said.

Ostercamp said she uses her cell phone five or six times a day.

Doran also said he uses his phone daily.

“I got the 400-minute plan, so it’s pretty much a daily-use phone because I’m not at home much, so I need a phone that I can use regularly that’s with me,” he said.

Hornberg said phone companies currently aren’t offering special rates specifically for students.

“They’re already cheap enough,” she said. “They’ll run promotions where they’ll give you half off a phone but not on the service.”

Doran said his phone is affordable for him.

“I did some bargain hunting and got what I thought was the best deal financially. For some people maybe it’s not worth the money, but for me it is,” he said.

Feddersen said she also got a cheap rate.

“All in all, it costs me about $35 to $40 a month, and that includes insurance,” she said.