Alexander faces IRHA members’ questions

Amie Van Overmeer

Director of Residence Randy Alexander defended his department’s Master Plan Thursday night during two and a half hours of questioning by Inter-Residence Hall Association members.

During IRHA’s first meeting of the year, Alexander answered questions and criticisms about CyRide’s Brown Route, Maple Hall, Hawthorn Court and budget reallocations. He said he hoped to dispel any rumors or misinformation IRHA members had about the Master Plan or the residence halls.

Alexander said the primary goal of the Department of Residence was to meet the needs of the students.

“We want to provide housing that meets students’ needs,” he said. “Every student doesn’t want the same thing.”

Alexander said even if the residence halls had been kept in perfect condition, the needs of students still would not be met because of the age of the buildings. The average age of the residence halls is 45 years, he said.

Alexander said the Master Plan was created as a result of many surveys and feedback from students. Changes in Maple Hall such as sinks, carpeting, improved lighting and air conditioning controls in rooms were a result of what students said they wanted in their rooms.

“The Master Plan is not something I dreamt up one day when I was bored,” he said. “It has been developed over several years.”

Kyle Jacobsen, IRHA director of finance, said many students are concerned about some of the budget reallocations that have been made to finance the Master Plan.

Budgeting has changed funding for both the Brown Route and Student Security.

“To many students, it seems like we’re paying more and getting less,” said Jacobsen, junior in horticulture.

However, Alexander said some changes in the budget are necessary just to maintain the current residence halls. He said it costs $7 million to maintain all the halls in one year. The Department of Residence currently is spending $4 million in maintenance.

Alexander said it is possible to keep services such as the Brown Route and Student Security as they were last year, but students will pay the price.

“If you want to pay for it, we can do it,” he said.