Hupp takes ethos helm

Staci Olthoff

After a year of turmoil, ethos, an Iowa State student-run magazine, has a new editor and a new outlook.

Staci Hupp, senior in journalism and mass communication with a magazine emphasis, was appointed editor of ethos on Sept. 8. The magazine published two issues during the fall semester ’98 before three top editors resigned and ethos became a project for a journalism class.

Hupp brings a diverse journalism background to ethos, having written for The Omaha World Herald, The Des Moines Register and the Iowa State Daily.

“I think I bring ideas and experience to the position,” she said, adding that some of her plans for the new ethos include adding more news flavor.

“I want the stories for ethos to go more in-depth than newspapers,” she said. “I also want to include stories that are fun and humorous along with the news.”

Last year, the future of ethos was sketchy until Dawn Kanoski, senior in journalism and mass communication, took over as editor last spring. She resigned at the beginning of this semester because of personal reasons and a lack of time.

“I think that the reason ethos may have been through so many editors in the past is because it is a huge time commitment,” Kanoski said. “It’s a big job for one person.”

Hupp agreed ethos will take a lot of work, especially since she is a part-time student and is working on an internship with The Des Moines Register. Also, ethos positions are unpaid.

However, Hupp believes she’s up to the task.

“The challenge will be what’s so fun,” she said. “It’s one of those jobs where you learn as you go.”

Hupp, who is slated to graduate in May, would like to be ethos editor for the entire school year, but at this time, she’s unsure if that will happen.

“If I can stick around, that would be great,” she said. “The experience outweighs the money.”

Credit hours are being given for working at ethos through JLMC 490C, a structured, independent study class. Students who take the class are able to earn one to three credits, based on how much work they do for ethos.

There currently are six people in the class. Students must have permission to take the class from the instructor, Angela Renkoski, who also is the editorial adviser to ethos.

Editions of ethos should be out for Homecoming week and the week before finals.