Fall Movie Preview

Kyle Moss

After a summer season stocked full of delicious comedies like “American Pie,” “Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me” and the mighty “Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace,” pressure is on film studios this fall to keep up the momentum.

Traditionally, fall is the season to flaunt Oscar-worthy flicks, and with long-awaited movies like “The Fight Club” and “Dogma” coming to theaters, this year will be no exception.

What better place to come for a look into the future of movies than High Note, as we give you the low-down for fall and early-winter films:

“American Beauty”

A star-studded cast consisting of Academy Award-winner Kevin Spacey and nominee Annette Bening front the lineup for “American Beauty.” This clear-cut, incisive and sometimes humorous flick portrays a present-day life in suburban America.

“Anna And The King”

Starring Academy Award winner Jodie Foster and Chow Yun-Fat, “Anna and The King” takes place in the late 19th century and documents the true-life adventures of a British governess who is hired by the King of Siam to teach his many kids.

Faster than you can say blockbuster, the teacher finds herself in a relationship with the overbearing ruler.

“Anywhere But Here”

A restless mother decides to take her unwilling daughter away from a boredom-filled town and head to Beverly Hills in this highly-touted film. The two of them journey together through a constantly changing relationship while attempting to adapt to their new surroundings.

“Anywhere But Here” stars Susan Sarandon and Natalie Portman, who has dazzled in both “Beautiful Girls” and “The Phantom Menace.”

As the two of them try to unfold better lives, they deal with such things as the mom trying to find the perfect guy and the daughter not quite fitting in at her high school. Though their relationship is strong, it could explode at the push of a button.

“Bicentennial Man”

Robin Williams plays an android who is purchased as a household robot to do menial tasks. But his owner (Sam Neill) soon learns that his robot is far from ordinary as it begins experimenting with emotions and creative thought.

The robot learns of humanity, love and life. (Without the help of a loony doctor with a clown nose.)

“Blue Streak”

When a $20 Million diamond heist goes bad, a talented jewel thief (Martin Lawrence) is forced to bury his treasure at a construction site.

After being released from jail two years later, he discovers the site is now a Los Angeles Police precinct. He decides to impersonate a detective at the department in an attempt to make a getaway with the diamond.

But with his fine knowledge of crime, he ends up solving them left and right and becomes a valued and respected officer.

“Blue Streak” also stars Luke Wilson, Dave Chappelle and William Forsythe.

“Drive Me Crazy”

Perhaps you’ve seen the previews for this movie. There is no dialogue — just the Britney Spears song “(You Drive Me) Crazy” escorting a montage of clips from the film.

The flick stars Melissa Joan Hart and Adrian Grenier as high school students who devise a plan to begin dating each other in order to attract jealousy and interest from their romantic goals.

But in the midst of all the action, they realize true love is closer than either of them ever dreamed. How sweet.

“Deuce”

After doing hilarious supporting roles in various films, “Saturday Night Live’s” Rob Schneider stars in his own motion picture as a guy who cleans fish tanks for a living.

But while fish-sitting for a world-class male escort, he answers the business phone and becomes one himself. Now, he can do it all night long.

The Robster … makin’ sweet love.

“Dogma”

One of the most anticipated films of the late ’90s, besides that monster called “Star Wars,” is on its way to a theater near you.

Kevin Smith’s “Dogma,” the follow up to “Clerks,” “Mallrats” and “Chasing Amy,” promises to be a laugh-a-second comedy.

The film features buddies Ben Affleck and Matt Damon as two angels who were cast out of heaven. They travel around and deal with hilarious, yet meaningful situations that include a woman whose past abortion gone bad has her working in an abortion clinic and a priest who thinks a crucifix is too depressing and would rather see a statue of Jesus doing a thumbs up.

Along with Damon and Affleck, this savory cast includes Chris Rock, George Carlin, Janeane Garofalo, Salma Hayek, Jason Lee and Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith as Jay and Silent Bob.

And “Thank You,” Alanis Morissette, for playing God.

“Fight Club”

With his Oscar-nominated role in “American History X,” Edward Norton proved he is one of the top young actors of the ’90s.

In his latest project, he teams up with one his most talented peers, “12 Monkeys”/”Seven” star Brad Pitt.

David Fincher’s “Fight Club” tells a disturbing tale of a man who sets up fight clubs where young guys are submitted to bloody, don’t-hold-anything-back battles until someone drops.

Meatloaf contributes a memorable role as a man with “bitch tits.”

“Galaxy Quest”

For four years, the crew of the NSEA Protector set out on thrilling missions in space. Then, their series was canceled. Get it? It was a TV show.

Twenty years later, the cast of the show “Galaxy Quest,” still dressing in costume, hits conventions all over the country.

An organization of aliens who have mistaken intercepted TV transmissions for “historical documents” come to a convention and seize the crew, which consists of Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver, who apparently can’t get enough of those aliens.

The crew is brought to space to help fight a real war of their own against a deadly enemy.

“The Insider”

When a central witness involved in lawsuits filed against the tobacco industry decides he wants to go public, an investigative reporter and producer for “60 Minutes,” (Al Pacino) is there to intercept the story.

But before the devastating testimony airs, CBS decides to drop it and Pacino’s character goes through some major problems.

Leave it to the networks.

“Jakob The Liar”

Oscar-winner Robin Williams plays the poor Jewish owner of a cafe in Nazi-occupied Poland during World War II. To help overshadow the fast growing depression of his people, he invents false news bulletins about Allied advances against the Nazis (much like Patch Adams kept his dying patients smiling).

The lies keep hope and humor alive among the people.

When the Germans find out about the possible illegal ownership of a radio, they come searching.

“Light It Up”

After an accidental shooting occurs in an inner city high school, a group of diverse students take a wounded police officer hostage. The media coverage and public interest in the shooting rise, and the students unexpectedly come together to help their school and themselves.

R & B singer Usher gives acting another try with hopes of more success along side Rosario Dawson.

“Light It Up” also includes veteran actor Forest Whitaker as the officer who becomes the hostage of the students. The drama of the kidnapping is sparked by the firing of a teacher, played by “Breakfast Club” jerk Judd Nelson.

“Mumford”

Dr. Mumford has only been in town four months and he is already the most popular psychologist in town. He gets involved in his patients’ lives and helps them out in unexpected ways.

But the man who listens to all of the town’s secrets has the biggest secret of them all.

Coincidentally, the town is called Mumford also. Let’s hope the movie plays out a little less cheesy than that.

“Mumford” stars Ted Danson, Martin Short, Loren Dean and “Chasing Amy” homophobe Jason Lee. Teaming up with this bundle of talented men are Jane Adams, Hope Davis and Mary McDonnell.

“Mystery Alaska”

An unlikely story occurs when the one and only New York Rangers venture to Mystery, Alaska, as a publicity stunt to take on a team stocked full of locals who play hockey for the love, not the money.

Starring “L.A. Confidential” star Russell Crowe, Hank Azaria, Lolita Davidovich and Burt Reynolds, “Mystery Alaska” demonstrates the true reason why people play sports and how money and fame don’t make you the best at what you do.

Call it “Mighty Ducks” for the thinking man.

“Play It To The Bone”

Woody Harrelson and Antonio Banderas play best friends and professional boxing rivals who haven’t worked in years. But from out of the blue, an assignment to work together in Vegas shows up.

The catch is that they have to be there as soon as possible.

When they hit the road with Lolita Davidovich at the wheel, sparks begin to fly due to the competitive nature of the guys and the explosive temper of Davidovich’s character.

“Random Hearts”

A hard-nosed internal affairs cop (Harrison Ford) crosses paths with a high-profile congresswoman (Kristin Scott Thomas) who is involved in a bitter re-election campaign.

In “Random Hearts,” the two form an unusual relationship which forces them to face the truth that threatens to destroy them and ascertain the strength over the deceitfulness that is all around them.

Whatever the hell that means.

“Superstar”

Nearly every funny “Saturday Night Live” character gets his or her own movie, and next in line is Mary Katherine Gallagher, played by the brilliantly funny Molly Shannon.

In “Superstar,” all Mary Katherine wants out of life is a kiss — not just any kiss though — a big-time, Hollywood-style kiss. But no one will kiss her no matter how hard she tries.

So she enters a talent contest at her school with a chance to win a trip to Hollywood and a spot to be an extra in a movie.

“Sometimes … when I get nervous, I think about the movie “Pat,” and how bad it did. And I get more nervous.”

Note: “Superstar” is coming to the Iowa State campus through Network Event Theater, who will host an advanced screening of the film at the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Free passes for the Sept. 29 movie are available at the West Student Office Space reception desk and are required to get in. The show starts at 8 p.m.

“Toy Story 2”

Tom Hanks and Tim Allen warm up their vocal chords again for this follow up to the 1995 computer-animated smash “Toy Story.”

Andy goes off for the summer and leaves Woody and Buzz Light Year to themselves. When Woody is stolen by a toy collector, Buzz must try and save him with help from good ol’ Mr. Potato Head and some others.

“Three Kings”

Three American soldiers decide to take on one more mission at the end of the Gulf War. George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg and Ice Cube attempt to steal a large amount of Saddam Hussein’s gold and end up enthralled with Iraqi people who live their lives in a country at war with itself.

One mishap after another leads these men to change their entire mission altogether, becoming a journey they won’t soon forget.

Hailed music video director Spike Jonze costars in a role custom-designed for his eccentric personality.