Students react to new moving out policy

Amie Van Overmeer

Some students who live in Iowa State’s dorms say a new Department of Residence policy that requires residents to leave 24 hours after their last final will make their last week of spring semester more difficult.

Last year, students were required to be out of the dorms by 3 p.m. on Saturday, regardless of the time of their last final.

Virginia Arthur, associate director of residence, said staff members suggested the change partially because remaining students can distract students who are studying. She said most students leave within 24 hours of their last final anyway.

Some residents said it would be difficult to study for finals and prepare for moving out in such a short time frame.

Emily Boyd, freshman in chemical engineering, said finals week is a stressful enough time without worrying about packing.

“Move-in day was hectic, and I’m still getting situated,” said Boyd, resident of Lawther House in Helser Hall. “Finals week would be really stressful for me.”

She said if she had extra days after her finals, she would like to use them to move out.

Aaron McCullough, resident of Buchanan Hall, said students who have other responsibilities need to have their rooms available even if they are done with finals.

“If you are in clubs or other activities and you have some organizing to do before the end of the year, to be forced to move out is rather unfair,” said McCullough, senior in music.

He said students who stay more than 24 hours after their finals usually have a good reason.

“Students leave on their own if they are done early and if they don’t have a reason to stay,” he said.

Dave Govek, sophomore in computer engineering, does not support the new policy because he feels it limits students’ options.

“It takes away the freedom to stay for a few days if you need to,” said Govek, resident of Griffith House in Storms Hall. “You don’t always have complete freedom over when you can show up some place.”

He said students who live in apartments over the summer might not have a place to stay for a few days if they are required to leave the dorms in 24 hours.

Administrators hope the policy will help keep floors quieter during finals, but Govek said his floor was much quieter last year during finals week than at other times of the year.

“If you get along with the guys on your floor, you want them to do well on their tests and you leave them alone,” he said.

Some students said they might have scheduling conflicts with the new policy.

Josh Varilek, resident of Hartman House in Wallace Hall, said if his finals were before his roommate’s, he might have a problem with transportation.

“My roommate won’t have the same schedule as me for finals, and I’ll be his ride home,” said Varilek, freshman in computer science and business management.

He said he would stay in his room until his roommate was done with finals.