Davis, Haywood lead way for ISU’s deepest position

Josh Flickinger

There are few certainties on the ’99 Cyclone roster. The depth and skill at the tailback position is one of those.

With two-time 1,000-yard rusher Darren Davis, sophomore Ennis Haywood and freshman Mike Wagner emerging as a future star, the Cyclones are set for the present and the future.

“We feel very happy about that position. Everybody is real healthy, they all had great two-a-days, and we’re just comfortable with the tailback spot,” running backs coach Tony Alford said.

Davis has been one of the best running backs in Cyclone history. He emerged on the scene as a highly touted recruit who followed in the footsteps of his brother, Troy, the first player to rush for over 2,000 yards in consecutive seasons in NCAA history.

His freshman year he didn’t get an opportunity to carry the ball much, as he accumulated 204 yards on only 30 carries that season.

He did make contributions in other areas, collecting over 100 yards in receiving and also returning punts and kicks.

His sophomore year, Davis was plagued by injuries but still managed to rush for 1,005 yards while maintaining a 4.7 yard average.

Last season, Darren took strides to become the workhorse that brother Troy was in his three years at ISU. He carried the ball 294 times for 1,166 yards and spent virtually no time on the bench.

Davis currently stands seventh on the all-time rushing charts and he needs 2,008 yards to pass his brother to become the all-time leading rusher.

He also stands fourth on the all-purpose yardage chart, and needs 1,871 yards to overtake Troy Davis in the number one spot.

Whenever Davis did venture toward the sideline, Haywood was there to relieve him, a task that he performed admirably.

The 6-0, 210-pound sophomore was able to show why many schools coveted his talents by rushing for 178 yards on only 30 carries, a healthy 5.9 yard average.

The styles that Haywood and Davis possess compliment each other very well.

While Davis is a shifty back who relies on slick moves to get his yards, Haywood trusts his sturdy frame and straight-ahead running style to give him success.

These two players could see time together in the Cyclone backfield, something that never happened a year ago.

“We hope to have them both in there. We’d really like to, but it depends on how the game is going. They are both quality players, and we’d love to have them both on the field at the same time,” Alford said.

Another young tailback is Michael Wagner, a freshman from West Covina, Calif.

A highly touted recruit, Wagner rushed for 1,920 yards and 28 touchdowns in his senior year en route to earning all-state honors.

Wagner, 5-8, 185 pounds, is similar to Davis in build, and has impressed the coaches a great deal.

“Wow. This kid is a quality, quality football player,” Alford said. “He’s a very smart kid, too; he picks up things really quickly. He is going to be a great asset to us in the very near future.”

Although just a year removed from high school, Alford says one could never tell that by watching him on the field.

“He plays a lot older than what he is. He has such great composure in the huddle, and he really is going to be special,” Alford said.

At fullback, the Cyclones will feature a different look. Gone is Joe Parmentier, who contributed mightily throughout his four years at ISU.

The man to fill his shoes will be Hez Jackson, a fifth-year senior from Tampa, Fla.

Jackson has seen very limited action is his first three years at ISU, but he will be expected to lead Davis and company into enemy secondaries in his final year.

“It’s good to see Hez get his chance. He’s paid his dues, he knows the game and now it’s time for him to show us what he can do,” Alford said.

He doesn’t believe it will be a big adjustment for Davis to run in back of a new fullback.

“They’ve worked together in practice for a number of years, so they should be comfortable with each other,” Alford said.

Backing up Jackson will be Robert Lewis and DeCarlos Anderson, who was just awarded a scholarship this summer.

Alford, who is in his third year as a Cyclone assistant, sees this as the deepest the club has been during his tenure here.

“Definitely since I’ve been here this is the deepest group we’ve had. ISU has always had a good tradition of running backs, going back to Blaise Bryant and guys like that. We’re really ready to carry it on,” Alford said.

There is one problem in having this wealth of riches, though.

“Well, the only thing is, there’s only one ball. But it’s a good problem to have,” Alford said.

Indeed it is, and one the team would like to have in more than one position.