What is…a popular on-line game?

Dewayne Hankins

The Iowa State football team is 3-0 for the first time since 1985, and the hockey team is heading into a new season with a national title behind them.

Finally, it seems like ISU may be a competitor in the college world, and with all these accomplishments comes a new task to conquer — College Jeopardy.

College Jeopardy is an online version of the television game show that pits all the universities in the nation against each other for the grand prize of a free screening of Sony’s next blockbuster.

With incentives such as a great prize and prestige for your school, College Jeopardy is trying to lure every student in America to their Web site.

“We have over 300,000 students from colleges and universities across the United States playing,” said Nicole Opas, marketing coordinator for Sony Online Entertainment. “The free game is the best way to challenge your rivals and other schools in your conference off the field.”

After typing the address, www.station.sony.com, players are whisked away to a colorful page where they must register. The process is painless and takes only about five minutes, asking basic questions like the player’s e-mail address, home address and school name.

After registering, the first game of College Jeopardy can begin. With “answers” ranging from “The Flintstones” to science and filmographies to potpourri, there are plenty of categories sure to appeal to almost every student.

The game is comparable to the “Jeopardy” on television, except for a few minute differences.

First of all, the players are by themselves. Secondly, every player gets only a certain number of chances at the board, depending on the round, instead of being able to clear the board.

All players get 20 seconds to answer regular questions and 40 seconds to complete Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy.

Another added bonus is the ability to pass on hard questions, so players don’t have to make bad guesses and lose points.

“You can check your personal stats, conference ranking and overall school ranking 24 hours a day from the home page,” Opas added.

Now the important part — prizes. Gift certificates and T-shirts are given away daily to people who play the “Magic Game,” or the 1000th game of the day. The top five scorers of the week win a Sony Music Gift Pack, and the top five cumulative scorers of the week win Discmans or CD clock radios.

Players can try College Jeopardy as many times as they want, and the higher their personal score, the better chance they will have of winning.

Throughout the season, students will get a chance to look at charts that show the top scores for individual students and school rankings. School also are listed by conference for easy reference.

Prizes will be given away throughout the 12 weeks, and it’s worth filling out the survey for a chance at $500.

After the last games are played on Dec. 6, the scores will be tallied and the top three schools will get to host a special screening.

“Iowa State had great participation last semester accumulating over $11 million,” Opas said. “The University of Iowa ended up with $15 million — so this is the semester to fight back and beat out the Hawkeyes.”

Last spring, ISU placed a disappointing last in the Big 12.

“Students can play as many games as they wish,” Opas said. “In fact, we find students playing anywhere from three to 15 games in one day at all hours of the day and night.”