Women’s soccer continues roll

Trevor Fisher

The Iowa State women’s soccer team continued its winning streak over the weekend with two huge non-conference victories over Minnesota and Iowa.

Friday afternoon the Cyclones faced a tough task in playing the Minnesota Gophers, who came into the game ranked 22nd in the nation.

ISU proved it was up to the task, taking a 1-0 lead midway through the first half on a bending shot to the upper right hand corner by freshman Katie Antongiovanni.

Krista Odwenwald dished out the assist, her fourth this year.

It proved to be a back and fourth battle throughout the first half, with both teams playing tough defense but guilty of sloppy offense.

Leading the defensive charge of ISU was freshman Angie Portincaso.

The Gopher offense was consistently being stumped by Portincaso, who played tremendous defense through the whole game, and earned praise from Coach Klein.

“Portincaso is as fine of a player as a human being, she will do whatever you ask her to do. She is so talented, and she was brilliant back there.”

Neither team could put another point on the board, and the half-time score showed the Cyclones up 1-0.

The second half was more stonewall defense by both teams.

The Gophers put the Cyclone defense on guard early in the second half, but a tough ISU defensive core lead by the freshman trio of Portincaso, Tiffany Belz and Lauren Sims was able to withstand the attack.

Lindsey Rector, who was moved to almost every position on the field before she finally ended up filling in for the injured Alicia Rollison at sweeper, was also a huge part of the ISU defense that shut down the Gophers.

“She went from the outside, but the original game plan was that she would be the wing mid.

“Then before the game we put her in the back, to a wing back. Then from a wing back to basically Alicia Rollison’s job; a job that she has never been trained for,” Klein said of Rector.

With 25 minutes left in the game, Anongiovanni almost connected on her second goal of the game, just missing high on a free kick.

ISU controlled much of the latter part of the second half and went on to beat the nationally ranked Gophers 1-0.

“It’s amazing it’s our first nationally ranked team we’ve beaten.

“It’s amazing, it will put us up there, our confidence up there, it will make our lives a lot easier in the long run,” said Sims, talking about the Cyclones upset over Minnesota.

The win was the fourth in a row for the Cyclones who improved their record to 4-1.

Sunday the Cyclones renewed their own intrastate rivalry with the Hawkeyes.

After tying the Hawkeyes 1-1 in double overtime last season, the Cyclones pulled out the victory this year, 2-1, in another double overtime thriller.

ISU took the lead on a goal by freshman Angie Portincaso in the 51st minute.

Iowa freshman Sarah Lynch put one past Hilligoss in the 75th minute to tie the contest at 1-1.

ISU had two shots on the goal in the first overtime but did not score, while Iowa was unable to get any shots off during the first period.

The game remained deadlocked until the 119th minute, when Antongiovanni nabbed the ball after a corner kick by teammate Lindsey Rector and scored the game winner.

As in Friday’s game with Minnesota, gritty defensive play and key stops by the goalkeepers kept the matchup close.

ISU outshot Iowa 18-7, recording nine shots on goal.

Hilligoss made six saves in the contest for the Cyclones.

The victory raises the Cyclones’ all time, overall mark against Big 10 opponents to 3-0-1.

— Daily reporter Justin South also contributed to this report.