United Way plans on record-high fund raising

Staci Olthoff

The 1999 Story County United Way fund-raising drive has been underway for almost a week, and university officials and participating students hope it will be a successful project.

Vice President for External Affairs and employee chairman Murray Blackwelder said the organization, which kicked off its campaign last Wednesday, plans on raising $170,000 for United Way and $30,000 for the Habitat for Humanity “for an all-time new record high of $200,000 total.”

When the campaign officially ends on Oct. 18, the ISU student donation campaign still will be in full swing.

The goal set for student donations this year is $4,900, said student chairman Scott Berscheid, Government of the Student Body director of human relations.

“I think we can do $7,000 this year with no problem, and I would like to see $10,000 to $15,000 done per year before I leave the university,” said Berscheid, junior in pre-business.

Success in the student campaign comes from three key components, Berscheid said.

First, the organization plans to have students save their empty beverage containers from October until Thanksgiving break.

Another avenue for possible donations is a “Bucket Brigade,” where volunteers will canvas campus looking for donations.

Finally, last year’s most successful part of the ISU donation campaign, “Miss a Meal,” will be repeated.

Tentatively scheduled for Oct. 13, the total cost of all meals not eaten in all residence halls and greek houses will be donated to the program.

Organizations benefiting the campaign include the Ames-YWCA, Red Cross, Youth and Shelter Services and the Boys and Girls Club.