ISU, law enforcement brace for football fans

Kristin Guiter

Because about 50,000 Cyclone and Hawkeye fans will infiltrate Ames Saturday, Iowa State administrators and law enforcement are taking precautions to ensure it will be a safe day for students.

Since it’s an evening game, Department of Public Safety officers are anticipating day-long tailgates surrounding Jack Trice Stadium, and they will be monitoring parties to prevent problems from occurring.

“Because the game starts at 6, there will be more tailgating in the afternoon,” said Warren Madden, vice president for Business and Finance. “We are trying to be prepared.”

Officers will be on tailgate patrol before and during the game, said DPS Lt. Steve Hasstedt.

“We’ll be looking for rowdy tailgate parties — if one’s out of hand, we’ll intervene and ask them to tone it down a little bit,” he said.

DPS Director Loras Jaeger said officers will form tailgate teams to enforce the Iowa laws.

“First of all, we encourage everyone to go to the game and help us win,” he said. “Second, enjoy yourself, but don’t get drunk.”

Hasstedt said DPS is not looking to “spoil the fun,” but if students choose to party, he stresses responsibility.

“We are Cyclone fans just like students are,” Jaeger said. “We certainly like to get caught up in the merriment of the time, but don’t let alcohol get in the way of having a good time.”

The university is providing an alcohol-free zone in the southeast parking lot of the stadium for tailgaters who don’t want to drink, said Mary Zeigler, director of marketing and promotions for the Athletic Department.

Traffic also is a concern for Ames police, said Sgt. Randy Kessel, public information officer for the department.

“With the game being sold out, we are expecting the usual fans from the Des Moines area, plus fans traveling from Iowa City,” he said.

The parking area will be open at noon, and beginning at 2 p.m., officers will regulate traffic at several intersections: Mortensen Parkway and Elwood Drive, South Fourth Street and Elwood Drive, Lincoln Way and Elwood Drive and Lincoln Way and Beach Avenue.

In addition to the Ames officers’ efforts, DPS will be at the intersection of South 16th Street and Elwood Drive, and the Ames traffic division will be directing vehicles before and after the game.

Athletic Director Gene Smith said if the Cyclones are victorious, students should stay to cheer on the band and celebrate in the stands as the team exits the field. However, he added that students should celebrate with class and dignity.

As for attempting to tear down the goal posts, Tom Kroeschell, communication manger for the Athletic Department, said they are indestructible.

“They are made of steel; they don’t give,” he said. “In the past, before we went to these posts, people were injured when they were torn down. A couple of people were hurt badly and required hospitalization.”

The more accustomed students become to victory, the less likely they are to damage private and university property, Smith said.

“We need to get our environment to the point where winning is something we aren’t surprised with,” he said.

“Tearing down the goal post is the result of something unexpected,” he said.