Programs helps students cope with eating disorders

Laura Boskelly

While eating disorders are a continuing trend, Iowa State students suffering from these ailments should be aware they are not alone and there is help.

A study conducted by the Eating Disorders Awareness and Programs organization (EDAP) revealed that in the United States one in 10 women are struggling with an eating disorder such as anorexia, bulimia and binge eating, and at least 1 million men also are struggling with these conditions.

While there have been no similar studies conducted recently at ISU, Eunice Bassler, registered dietitian and adjunct instructor in food science, believes “there are a significant number of people with eating disorders at ISU.”

Although eating disorders generally are associated with women, men are contributing to the growing problem, she said.

“I have not worked with many men, but the number of men with eating disorders is on the rise,” she said.

Heather B. Morse, coordinator of eating disorder services at ISU, said in the past, men weren’t viewed as they are today.

“Women are targeted by the media and culture,” she said. “Men are being targeted now, too.”

Bassler said she believes there are “good efforts being made to communicate size acceptance, but the message needs to get out [to society]. Our society sets up vulnerable people for an eating disorder.”

Students who have dietary problems don’t necessarily have an eating disorder, Bassler said.

Disordered eating, she said, does not meet the criteria of an eating disorder but may eventually lead to one, and students afflicted should seek counseling.

Three group programs have been developed at ISU Student Counseling Services for students dealing with eating disorders.

The semi-structured group is for students who are struggling with body image issues and are vulnerable to or dealing with an eating disorder. The group focuses on how to cope with food and body issues.

The therapy group is for students who have had prior treatment for their eating disorders.

The group will explore feelings and thoughts related to eating disorders and will focus primarily on what food and body symbolize. The body-esteem group is for students who binge eat to manage their emotions.

It will address coping with societal messages and self-acceptance, regardless of size.

For people who find group counseling undesirable, individual counseling is available at the Student Services Building.

Group and individual counseling is the best therapeutic approach, Morse said, but group counseling is especially beneficial because it helps “students feel supported and less alone.”