Lewis and Clark inspire professor to hit the trails

Kate Kompas

Steve Russell wasn’t very interested in the explorers Meriwether Lewis and William Clark when he was high school and college.

His interest, however, was piqued 14 years ago, when he started researching the duo who made historical explorations throughout the West.

The associate professor in electrical and computer engineering became hooked, and even though he had never been an avid hiker before, Russell started following their trails, located throughout Montana and Idaho.

“I got a couple of books and saw where they had gone; I got over there, and I was able to find information that was really good information and allowed me to see where they had went,” he said.

Russell made his first trip along the historic trails in 1986. He said he tries to go out West at least once a year to pursue his hobby.

“I’ve been [on the trails] four times, and I’ve looked at all the documents, trail explorations and any maps that might exist,” he said.

“These guys were used to looking at the eastern mountain chain, and the West is quite a bit different,” he said. “They were nasty mountains.”

Today, Russell is the only person in the country who uses engineering analysis techniques and ideas to follow Lewis and Clark’s trails. He goes solo on his trips, accompanied by only his lap-top computer.

He does all his data work in the winter.

“There is not access into the terrains, starting from about the end of October until the middle of July; otherwise it’s snowbound,” he said.

The mountainous region provides quite a challenge for Russell, and he said traveling Lewis and Clark’s trails gives him a new appreciation for the explorers.

“It’s the physical experience of being cold and wet — I hike in all weather, from hail to heavy rainstorms, so it really adds to the experience; it’s the same weather they experienced,” he said.

“The vegetation is very thick … there’s brush that’s over my head, you have to really dig around and crawl through some areas,” he said.

Russell said “a lot of experimenting” sustains him while he explores the Lewis and Clark trails.

“I’ve kind of zeroed in on Ramen Noodles and Handi-Snacks; that keeps me alive for a few days,” he laughed.

Russell appeared on a recent Lewis and Clark documentary earlier in the semester. Both he and his daughter Rebecca were featured on “Echoes of a Bitter Crossing: Lewis & Clark in Idaho.”

Russell currently is working on two books: one, a practical guidebook about Lewis and Clark’s explorations, and the second focusing more on the historic aspects of their mission. He said the books will feature some of his photographs.

“I made a count and I have 2,700 photographs; I have a huge collection where I’ve tried to archive all these things,” he said. “I keep very accurate journals of where the trail actually goes.”

He hopes to complete the books next year.