Iowa State promotes technological theme

Katie Goldsmith

“Advancing Technology to Become the Best” is the rallying cry at Iowa State this year.

“It’s a good theme; we are a technical school, and we’re finding the themes really build some synergy for the year,” said Murray Blackwelder, vice president for External Affairs.

Blackwelder said ISU’s annual theme originates from talking to the college deans to determine what events already are planned for the year. After he gets all their ideas, Blackwelder makes a presentation to ISU President Martin Jischke.

Jischke said having a theme gives the university an opportunity to call attention to important aspects of its traditions and history.

“It provides a vehicle for bringing together different groups, students, faculty, staff, administrative groups and organizations to take advantage of the synergy that occurs when lots of people get behind an idea,” he said.

The College of Veterinary Medicine kicked off the Advancing Technology year by dedicating its new livestock facility before the first football game, he said.

“We pick the theme on the natural things that are already being planned by the deans or by someone at the university,” Blackwelder said. “It gives, for example, Vet Med, a way to become a bigger thing by dedicating their new high-tech building, but they become part of a family of Advancing Technology.”

This is the third consecutive year that ISU has had a universitywide theme. The first focused on the Attanasoff-Berry Computer, and last year’s theme highlighted the achievements of George Washington Carver.

“I think that last year’s celebration of Carver was enormously successful, and I believe that this year’s celebration of Iowa State’s role in technology will also be very successful,” Jischke said.

A committee to plan events around this year’s theme has been formed. It’s composed of representatives from every college at ISU, and also from many clubs and organizations around campus. It’s co-chaired by Blackwelder and Government of the Student Body President Matt Craft.

“We invite all the colleges to send a representative, which they do, and then we invite all the other groups around campus that can help build that synergy around that theme,” Blackwelder said.

While some departments naturally will be emphasized by the technological theme, Jischke said the university tries to make the celebration inclusive.

“We tried to call attention to as many different areas of the university as possible,” he said.

The theme will provide a focus for some of the conferences, symposiums and marketing efforts of the university, Jischke said.

“We did things [in previous years] as a result of having the theme that we wouldn’t have done if every individual group tried to do their own thing. There was a certain synergy that grew out of the larger university effort, and I think the same thing is going to happen this year,” he said.

ISU will be doing several TV spots focusing on the role of ISU’s technology in advancing the interests of students and of the state of Iowa.

The year 1999 is a landmark for several technological areas on campus. This is the 100th anniversary of Marston Hall, and it also is an anniversary for ISU’s water tower.

Construction was recently completed on Howe Hall, the engineering teaching and research complex, and the ABC computer is going on a national tour this year.

“We have a long and rich history at Iowa State of being involved in technology,” Jischke said.