These sensitive men can cook

Kate Kompas

A diverse group of chefs were in front of the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center Wednesday afternoon, grilling up burgers and promoting the center’s Men’s Outreach program.

Iowa State notables, including head women’s basketball coach Bill Fennelly and wrestling coach Bobby Douglas, and faculty, staff and student leaders, participated in the second “Sensitive Men Grilling Burgers.”

Hundreds of ISU students lunched on the burgers served up by “the sensitive men.” The event, which is the kickoff to the Men’s Outreach program, is in its second year, and center officials said they hope it becomes an ISU tradition.

Pam Thomas, director of the Sloss House, said last year the center ordered 300 burgers for the occasion but this year upped the number to about 400. She called the event a “passive” way of getting students’ attention and promoting women’s issues.

“The Men’s Outreach program was a huge success, which is why we’re doing it again this year,” said Thomas, in reference to the programs that address women’s issues toward men, such as rape, alcohol abuse and sexual harassment.

As for “Sensitive Men,” Thomas believes those who attended were very receptive.

“One person already has said we need to start a ‘Golden Spatula’ award for the most sensitive man,” she joked.

Randy Jackson, coordinator of “Men’s Outreach,” said a few people asked him about the program during the event. He also said the acting cooks were more than happy to lend their support.

“I had men calling me up and saying, ‘Hey, can I come flip some burgers?'” Jackson laughed.

There was one ISU official Jackson said he wished would have stopped by the cookout.

“I wish [ISU President] Martin Jischke would have come — what better ‘learning community’ is there than this?” he said.

Plenty of chefs did show up — by noon the grill was crowded by at least six or seven participants joking and laughing as they slung burgers.

Rafael Rodriguez, director of Minority Student Affairs, was a “sensitive man” at last year’s event, and once again took his turn at the grill.

“I like to support the center whenever I can,” he said, noting that women’s issues affect men, too, so it’s important to become educated about them.

Douglas was a first-time participant in “Sensitive Men,” and he called the event “a good way to start the new millennium.” As for cooking, however, Douglas said he was content to be passing the burgers to the grillmen.

“All I’m doing is holding the burgers,” he laughed, “I’ll let these other guys handle it.”

Fennelly also made light of his cooking abilities.

“I can burn just about anything,” he laughed.

“The Sloss Center is a great organization,” Fennelly said, noting that anything he can do to contribute, he will. If “Sensitive Men” returns next year, Fennelly said he’ll be there.

Jackson hopes it will become an annual event.

“As long as Pam’s in charge of the Sloss House…it should go on until the end of time,” he said.