Center appoints new director to help with academic success

Jerod Bruner

Iowa State’s Academic Success Center has appointed a new director.

Sharon Paterson McGuire will take over the duties of director in late July, said Gwen Woodward, a university learning disabilities specialist who has served as interim director for the past year.

Woodward said Paterson McGuire’s primary responsibilities as director will be to oversee the university’s disability resources, tutoring program, supplemental instruction program, Psychology 131 and the academic learning lab.

“The director also does a lot of speaking on campus on study skills and time management,” Woodward said.

Paterson McGuire previously worked as an academic athletic adviser at Virginia Polytechnical Institute and State University, Blacksburg, and said she is impressed with the current support programs offered and the utilization of those programs at ISU.

Paterson McGuire said she is interested in developing an advisory board so students, faculty and administrators can contribute to the continued enhancement of the success center.

She also plans to expand the Psychology 131 course by increasing the course content to include a wide range of college success strategies.

She said she would like to see students getting involved, talking with professors and beginning career planning early.

“One of my visions for the center is that it support the academic success initiatives of the academic colleges,” Paterson McGuire said.

The Academic Success Center normally is located in the Student Services Building, but due to construction, it will be located in 107 Pearson for about a year.

Paterson McGuire received her bachelor’s of science degree in sociology from Oregon State, her master’s degree in higher education/student personnel from Southern Illinois and her doctorate in sociology from Virginia Tech.

“My professional and educational background give me insights into the intersections of student development and academic affairs, and I look forward to bringing this perspective and experience to the center and Iowa State University,” she said.

As for moving to the Midwest, Paterson McGuire said she was captivated by the friendly people she met while on campus, as well as the beauty of ISU.

“My family and I enjoy being involved in the community, and Iowa State and Ames seem to be a place where we can do just that,” she said.