Iowa State names new provost

Kristin Guiter

Iowa State has named Rollin C. Richmond the university’s new provost.

Richmond will be leaving his current job as provost and executive vice president for academic affairs at the State University of New York, Stony Brook.

The provost is ISU’s chief academic advisor, overseeing the university’s eight colleges, ISU Extension and various units.

“Rollin Richmond has an outstanding background as both a professor in the biological sciences and as a university administrator,” ISU President Martin Jischke said in a press release.

“He will be a valuable asset to Iowa State as we pursue our goal of being the best land grant university in the country,” Jischke stated.

Although Richmond said he does not have plans for immediate action upon arrival at ISU, he said he intends to come in and learn about the university in order to make improvements.

“One of the reasons I was drawn to Iowa State was an interest in undergraduate education,” he said.

As a “long-time research scientist and scholar of molecular evolution,” Richmond said he is interested in helping improve the integration research of undergraduate education.

Richmond’s experience includes serving as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of South Florida and chairman of the biology department at Indiana University.

Richmond said the land-grant aspect of ISU was attractive, as well.

“I am very interested in the administration at a land grant university.

“I have not had the opportunity before to be at one,” he said.

Richard Ross, dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine and member of the 19-person selection committee, said he is “expecting strong leadership from Dr. Richmond.”

“I think Dr. Richmond will strengthen scholarship and the overall standards at Iowa State University,” he said.

Richmond was one of six finalists for the provost position.

The other candidates were Ann Hill Duin, vice provost for instructional technology and university partnerships, executive director of the University of Minnesota at Rochester; Brian Foster, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and professor of anthropology at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln; Lonnie King, dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University, East Lansing; Walter Wendler, executive assistant to the president and professor of architecture at Texas A&M University, College Station; and Jane Winer, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and professor of psychology at Texas Tech University, Lubbock.

The eight ISU deans met candidates and had an opportunity for assessment, Ross said.

Richmond and his wife intend to move to Ames within the first two weeks of September before the appointment becomes effective on Sept. 15, Richmond said.

Richmond spent his “academic life in the Midwest and is looking forward to returning,” he said.

He complimented the strong values of the Midwest and ISU’s reputation in higher education.

“ISU is an institution of proud history that I have known for its strengths in areas of genetics,” he said.

Richmond said he also is looking forward to working with Vice Provost Stanley Johnson in order to expand ISU Extension into an opportunity for student internships throughout Iowa, he said.

“Research in the lab and in the community are extremely valuable learning opportunities — these opportunities should be extended as broadly as possible,” he said.

Richmond received a bachelor’s degree in zoology from San Diego State University and a doctorate in genetics from the Rockefeller University in New York.

He also has been active in the National Research Council, the Executive Committee of National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges, the National Science Foundation Population Biology Panel, and NSF and National Institutes of Health research review committees.

Previous provost John Kozak stepped down from the position in December; Richard Seagrave, professor of chemical engineering, has been serving as interim provost.