Veishea violators sentenced

Arlene Birt

University cases for 17 of the 36 students charged with violations of this spring’s Veishea student conduct code have been resolved.

Nine students received deferred suspensions, which will result in immediate suspension if any of the students is again found in violation of the student conduct code. The other eight students received conduct probation.

The remaining 19 violation hearings will be held in the fall when students return to Iowa State after summer vacation.

However, some students also may face city fines if they were arrested by Ames law enforcement during the three-day festival.

The number of student conduct code violations is down two from last year.

Thomas Hill, vice president for Student Affairs, said the overall decrease in violations is a result of the students taking more responsibility for an alcohol-free Veishea, which he said could have a positive impact on future Veishea decisions.

“It’s a tribute to the students,” Hill said.

Though happy with the results of last year’s Veishea, Hill said student conduct during Veishea can still improve.

“What you shoot for is zero; anything more than zero, you’ve got some work to do,” he said. “The goal is to have an alcohol-free Veishea.”

Hill said he thinks the trend will continue in future Veisheas due to the support of students for the alcohol-free celebration.

“Given the student attitude, I think it will continue to decrease.” he said. “A lot of [people] are very happy they can have a celebration without the alcohol.”

Lt. Douglas Clabaugh, Department of Public Safety, said the number of Veishea violations was about three times the number of violations during an average weekend. He said there are usually about seven or eight violations during home football-game weekends.

Clabaugh said it is too early to say whether the student conduct code will change next year, but security “doesn’t really vary that much from year to year.”

Fifteen of the 36 students in violation of the Veishea student conduct code were charged with public intoxication, 11 were charged with minor possession of alcohol charges, six students were charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated, three were charged with disorderly conduct, and one student was charged with interference.