Rainwater damages artwork

Jocelyn Marcus

Heavy rain storms on May 11 caused almost two inches of rain to leak into the basement of the College of Design building, damaging the artwork of several students and faculty members.

Roger Baer, assistant dean of the College of Design, said one to two inches of water leaked into the ground floor painting studios and faculty offices.

“I wouldn’t say it was flooded, but we had water infiltration,” he said.

Due to construction currently being done on the building, the rain was not drained properly, said John Weinkein, professor of art and design, whose office was one of those affected.

“We noticed the floor was wet, and everything on the floor soaked up the water,” he said. “I was shocked.”

Weinkein said at least 100 pieces of student artwork, 250 art periodicals and many supplies and equipment were damaged.

“I think it was very upsetting to all the students,” he said. “It was totally unexpected.”

Robert Atwell, graduate student in art and design, had 60 prints damaged.

He said the news of this “is still sinking in.”

“I was more overwhelmed than anything because I’m about to [receive a master’s degree], and that work was from all five semesters I’d been here,” he said.

He said the damaged artwork is irreplaceable, and he hopes insurance companies will consider its emotional value when awarding coverage.

“My biggest concern is someone just thinking it’s student work,” Atwell said.

“It’s won awards. It’s been in shows … I consider it professional-level work,” he said.

Baer said he currently is negotiating with two insurance companies over coverage of the damage.

“I’m committed to getting some compensation for the students on this, and the faculty,” he said.