Cultural Festival will feature dance, displays and dining

Kristin Guiter

As part of the 1999 Veishea Village, the Cultural Festival will bring international dancing, music and food to Iowa State’s central campus Saturday.

The Cultural Festival consists of an International Food Fair in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union and a cultural stage and tent on central campus.

Angi Schumacher, Veishea open house co-chairwoman, said 130 groups will participate in the festival.

“Our main focus this year has been to get more groups involved,” said Schumacher, senior in marketing.

Eleven of the ISU organizations will be creating displays for the cultural tent, said Ann Van Steenhuyse, co-coordinator of the Cultural Festival.

The tent will be open from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. and will be located near Curtiss Hall.

“The groups will set up displays which will show information about faith, the arts, and some will include handcrafts,” said Van Steenhuyse, junior in food science and technology.

Freshman Council has organized “a little booth for kids, where examples of passports will be passed out,” Van Steenhuyse said.

In the 1998 Veishea cultural tent, numerous groups exhibited items such as traditional costuming. Van Steenhuyse anticipates similar displays in this year’s tent.

“Groups will play music; it is really neat to see the instruments,” she said.

Between the tent and Curtiss Hall, the cultural stage will be set up. Groups will perform on the stage from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. with a break for the parade.

“We will have performances from ISU groups such as Orchesis II, the Hapkido Club, and the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship will be playing Christian music,” Van Steenhuyse said.

The third component of the Cultural Festival is the International Food Fair held in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“Different clubs will have food demonstrations with samples available,” Van Steenhuyse said.

Upon entrance into the fair, 25 cent tickets can be purchased.

“People can buy the food on sale with tickets. Most things will only cost one ticket,” Van Steenhuyse said.

Aside from the displays in central campus and the food fair, Open House displays will be located throughout campus with hours from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Schumacher said.

“Each club decides to do different displays. For example, the ROTC will be showing equipment, a tae kwon do group will be doing demonstrations, the construction engineering group will bring in large construction equipment,” she said.