Regents ponder parking fee increase

Jocelyn Marcus

The Iowa State Board of Regents voted to consider the university’s proposal of parking fee increases at its meeting last Thursday. The proposed changes affect rates for yearly permits.

The fine for parking in a handicapped space also was proposed to be doubled to $100.

Regent David Fisher said the fee increases are necessary ones.

“[The changes are] to meet the increased cost of maintaining adequate parking and the upkeep and the additions,” he said. “It’s important that good parking be maintained and marked properly.”

Fisher said the fees were increased last year and most likely will be again in years to come.

“I would imagine that they’d increase it at the rate of inflation or a little higher so they can have adequate resources to keep the parking lot and parking facilities in excellent working order,” he said.

Regent Nancy Pellett said the increases will help to support things of use to students, faculty and staff, such as the shuttle service.

“It allows for the services to remain and be improved,” she said. “It’s a fee to improve the existing parking lots; it’s a fee so that as money is accrued, we can build more parking lots.”

Students, faculty and staff wishing to share their opinions on the parking fee changes may call or write any board member. Names of members can be obtained in the Office of the President, Pellett said.

Proposed increases in yearly parking permits are $10 for 24-hour reserved totaling $550; $5 for reserved totaling $275; $4 for departmental totaling $220; $2 for vendor totaling $83; $1 for general staff totaling $55; $1 for University Student Apartment Community Second Car totaling $45; $1 for motorcycle totaling $18; and $3 each for Jack Trice Stadium, residence halls and student government, totaling $38 each.

Commuter Student and Student Medical Accessible parking rates will not be affected. They will remain at $38 each.

The Board of Regents will be voting on the proposed increases in mid-May, Pellet said.