ISU students, administration work to communicate

Arlene Birt

Some Iowa State students feel more student input into decisions made by university administrators is necessary; however, ISU President Martin Jischke said there are many chances for students to voice their opinions.

“There are lots of opportunities [for student input],” he said. “I don’t believe they take advantage of all of them, but I do believe they take advantage of some of them.”

Jischke said student input varies with the nature of the issue.

“There are lots of ways we try to stay abreast of issues that concern students,” he said. “We work very hard to identify those issues that students are interested in. We are very interested and mindful of the effects on students.”

Bryan Burkhardt, Government of the Student Body president, agreed that the amount of student input considered by the administration varies depending on the subject matter. However, he believes there is room for improvement.

“It would be nice if they sought more student input on some issues,” said Burkhardt, senior in computer engineering. “They seem to think there are some issues that do not pertain to students as much as other things.”

However, Jischke said students have considerable input on tuition increases and the allocation of the fees that go toward student groups and organizations.

He encourages students to “take opportunities to make their issues known” and would like to continue to see a variety of input.

Burkhardt agrees students often do not participate in all opportunities to contact administrators.

“I don’t think [students] take enough advantage of those opportunities,” Burkhardt said. “[But] that does not mean they should stop providing them.”

Burkhardt said decisions sometimes already have been made by the administration before it is brought before students.

“In some cases, I think the administration is set on their decision prior to seeking student input,” he said.

However, Burkhardt said formally obtaining students’ opinions can be difficult. He said if they were able to see administrators more often or feel more comfortable with them, communication could be improved.

Matt Kawa, freshman in visual studies, said he has not had any disagreement with the way the ISU administration handles its decision making processes because they focus on future benefits to the university.

“I think [administrative decisions are] in the best interest of students but also the business aspect of getting more students,” he said. “We’re only here for so long, and [the administration is] looking at a more long-term thing for the college.”

However, Kawa said students’ views still should be acknowledged and considered valuable.

“It’s the administration’s job to make sure that they are related to the students,” he said. “I would hope that I could speak to them, and I hope they would consider any opinion valuable.”

Bethany Weber, junior in international business, said the university agreed that the administration should take students’ ideas into account while making decisions.

“I feel like if they actually listen to the student body there would be more agreement, and more compromises would be made,” she said.