Res-Hallapalooza showcases residence halls

Arlene Birt

An ice cream social kicks off “Res-Hallapalooza” Monday to begin a week of activities for residence hall students.

“[Residence Hall Week is] to showcase the residence halls for perspective people coming in and say how we enjoy the residents helping us,” said Holly Blackford, Inter-Residence Hall Association director of programming. “I think students will be able to familiarize more with the residence halls.”

Activities during the week range from a carnival to hall Olympics to an a cappella concert.

Most activities are put on by the individual halls; however, two events are sponsored by IRHA, including a concert by Tonic Sol-Fa, an a cappella group from Minnesota, and an ice-cream social.

Blackford, sophomore in public service administration in agriculture, said IRHA is expecting 300 residents for the ice cream social on Monday, and about 400 residents for the Tonic Sol-Fa concert scheduled for Wednesday.

“I am hoping that it goes well this year,” she said. “We have a variety of things that students can get involved in.”

All activities are free of charge; residents must bring student identification and fee cards.

Blackford said the Residence Hall Week has been happening for several years but was canceled last year due to weather.

“We are trying to build up Residence Hall Week again this year, and hopefully, we can keep on improving it each year,” she said.

Brant Ausenhus, IRHA director of conferences, said the week focuses on promoting and celebrating the residence halls.

“We’re hoping to get a lot of attendance and a lot of positive feedback from it,” said Ausenhus, freshman in architecture. “This is probably the biggest one we have ever had.”

Other Res-Hallapalooza activities include:

• On Monday, the ice cream social will be held at the Knapp-Storms Commons from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. Also, there will be kite races at Clyde Williams Field at 6 p.m., and “Home Run Derby” at the Towers intramural fields at 6:30 p.m.

For Storms residents only: The Storms Olympics and “Spinning Bat Basketball,” held at 7:30 p.m. at the basketball courts.

• On Tuesday, open to all residents: a carnival on the Oak-Elm front lawn from 5 to 7 p.m.

For Storms residents only: The Storms Olympics scavenger hunt, held at 7:30 p.m. starting on the ground floor.

• On Wednesday, open to all residents: Tonic Sol-Fa concert 9 to 10:30 p.m. at the Fisher Auditorium.

Also, the Doolittle open house in Knapp Hall from 7:30 to 10 p.m.

For Storms residents only: “Storms Olympics Root Beer Chug and Marshmallow Stuff,” 7:30 p.m. in Knapp-Storms Commons.

• On Thursday, open to all residents: a lecture on sexual harassment by Maggie Hadleigh, 4 p.m. Also, “West on War Zone” in the Terrace Room.

For Union Drive Association residents only: a volleyball tournament, held at 5 p.m. at Clyde Williams Field.

For Storms residents only: Storms Olympics Tug-o-war and ceremonies, held at 7:30 p.m. in the center courtyard.

• On Friday, open to all residents: a charity pie toss, from 3 to 7 p.m. in the Friley Courtyard to raise money for the Domestic Violence Shelter in Ames. Also a dance is being held from 10 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. in the Larch Hall Main.

For Richardson Court Association residents only: RCA Block Party, held at 4 p.m. in old RCA.

• On Saturday, open to all residents: Upper Friley Olympics, held from noon to 5 p.m. at Clyde Williams Field.